Rochford is a local government district in Essex, England. It is named for one of its main settlements, Rochford, though the major centre of population in the district is the town of Rayleigh. Other places in the district include Hockley, Ashingdon, Great Wakering, Canewdon and Hullbridge.
Rochford shown within Essex
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Region||East of England|
|Incorporated||1 April 1974|
|• Type||Non-metropolitan district council|
|• Body||Rochford District Council|
|• Leadership||Alternative - Sec. 31 (Conservative)|
|• MPs||James Duddridge|
|• Total||65.44 sq mi (169.49 km2)|
|Area rank||171st (of 317)|
|• Rank||280th (of 317)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (510/km2)|
|• Ethnicity||96.5% White|
|Time zone||UTC0 (GMT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+1 (BST)|
|ONS code||22UL (ONS)|
|OS grid reference||TQ876904|
Rochford District is twinned with the German town of Haltern.
Energy and environment policy
In October 2009 the Rochford District was commended at a national level for its outstanding progress in boosting domestic recycling rates from "below 20 per cent to nearly 70 per cent", in the National Recycling Awards. Rochford District was nominated in the Local Authority Target Success category, and beat four other short-listed local authorities to claim the award.
In May 2006 a report commissioned by British Gas showed that housing in the district of Rochford produced the 9th highest average carbon emissions in the country at 7,219 kg of carbon dioxide per dwelling.
List of places in Rochford District
- Rochford District Council wins National Recycling Award Rochford District Council MattersOnline
- National Recycling Awards
- Winners 2009 The National Recycling Award
- http://www.britishgasnews.co.uk/managed_content/files/pdf/greenCity.pdf Archived 26 June 2008 at the Wayback Machine britishbasnews.co.uk
- "How to Contact Us." British World Airlines. 7 May 1999. Retrieved on 17 February 2019.