Robin Stewart (9 October 1946 – 22 November 2015) was an English actor, game show host and reporter who was best known for playing Mike Abbott, the son of Sid James' character Sid Abbott in the 1970s sitcom Bless This House.
|Died||22 November 2015 69)(aged|
|Occupation||Actor, game show host, reporter|
|Spouse(s)||Roberta Daler (2012-his death)|
He acted on television and in feature films in both the UK and Australia. Some of his British film roles include Tamahine, The Haunted House of Horror, Cromwell, Adventures of a Private Eye, and The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires as Leyland Van Helsing.
He played the role of Mike Abbott in sit-com series Bless This House during its entire 1971–76 run; due to prior commitments he did not feature in the film version of the series. After being asked to go to New Zealand for a telethon and subsequently taken back to host his own show, Stewart ended up being asked to relocate where he became involved with such soaps as The Young Doctors as a villainous character trying to silence a blind patient who had overheard his criminal acts, and Sons and Daughters as the villainous doctor Ross Newman.
Other roles in Australia included a lead role in sex comedy feature film Pacific Banana (1981), and an appearance in prison based soap opera Punishment. He was also one of the main characters in The Timeless Land, playing the role of John MacArthur. He played one of the supporting roles in the rock series Sweet and Sour for ABC; co-hosted Good Morning Sydney with Maureen Duval. Briefly he was the advertising executive for Rolling Stone magazine. He briefly co-produced weekly magazine program Midweek Live for DDQ TV in Toowoomba with presenter Craig Berkman in early 1990. For 18 months Stewart was the senior producer for FNQTV in Cairns.
Stewart was born in Calcutta, India to a Czechoslovakian father and English mother. After two previous marriages, the second to magazine fashion editor Fiona Partridge, he married former partner Roberta "Bertie" Daler in 2012 ; they had one daughter. Stewart suffered a stroke in 2003 and after years of heavy smoking also developed emphysema.
- Greyfriars Bobby (1961) - Jodie Ross (uncredited)
- Vice Versa (1961, TV) - Tipping
- H.M.S. Defiant (a.k.a. Damn the Defiant) (1962) - Midshipman Pardoe
- Masters of Venus (1962) - Jim
- Tamahine (1963) - Fiend
- Be My Guest (1965) - Jim Matthews
- The Haunted House of Horror (1969) - Henry
- Cromwell (1970) - Charles - Prince of Wales
- The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) - Leyland Van Helsing
- Sextet (1976) - Bernie
- Adventures of a Private Eye (1977) - Scott
- Rembrandt (1980, TV) - Titus
- Pacific Banana (1981) - Paul
- Get Crazy (1983) - Nada Band
- Un bruit qui rend fou (1995) - Client, Blue Villa