Robert Rolle (died 1660)
Robert Rolle (c. 1622 – 1660) was an English politician who sat in the House of Commons at various times between 1654 and 1660.
He was admitted for his legal training at the Inner Temple in 1640. He was appointed High Sheriff of Devon for 1649–50. In 1654 he was elected Member of Parliament for Devon in the First Protectorate Parliament and was re-elected MP for Devon in 1656 for the Second Protectorate Parliament and in 1659 for the Third Protectorate Parliament. In January 1660 he was appointed a member of the Rump Parliament's final Council of State but does not appear to have attended any meetings, likely due to the Council enforcing an oath abjuring the Stuart family and any Single Person or House of Lords. He was elected MP for the family's pocket borough of Callington in the Convention Parliament in 1660, but died in the same year.
Marriage & progeny
Rolle married Lady Arabella Clinton, the younger daughter of Theophilus Clinton, 4th Earl of Lincoln and 12th Baron Clinton (d.1667) and had a son and a daughter:
- Samuel Rolle (d.1719) who married Margaret Tuckfield and had issue:
- Margaret Rolle, 15th Baroness Clinton (d.1781). Margaret inherited the title Baroness Clinton from her cousin Hugh Fortescue, 1st Earl Clinton, 1st Baron Fortescue and 14th Baron Clinton (d.1751). She married firstly Robert Walpole, 2nd Earl of Orford (d.1751), by whom she had issue, and secondly Sewallis Shirley, son of Robert Shirley, 1st Earl Ferrers.
- Bridget Rolle (1648–1721) who married Francis Trefusis and had a son, Samuel Trefusis (1677–1722). After the death of George Walpole, 3rd Earl of Orford in 1791, Samuel's great-grandson Robert Trefusis (1764–1797) established his claim to the Barony of Clinton in 1794.
- 'General history: Nobility', Magna Britannia: volume 6: Devonshire (1822), pp. LXXXIII-XCV. Date accessed: 2 July 2011
- Willis, Browne (1750). Notitia Parliamentaria, Part II: A Series or Lists of the Representatives in the several Parliaments held from the Reformation 1541, to the Restoration 1660 ... London. pp. onepage&q&f=, false 229–239.
- 'Table of Attendances of the Council of State. ', in Calendar of State Papers Domestic: Interregnum, 1659-60, ed. Mary Anne Everett Green (London, 1886), pp. xxiii-xxvii http://www.british-history.ac.uk/cal-state-papers/domestic/interregnum/1659-60/xxiii-xxvii [accessed 27 March 2015]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "C" (part 1)
- Eveline Cruickshanks, Stuart Handley The House of Commons: 1690-1715
|Parliament of England|
| Member of Parliament for Devon
With: Sir John Northcote, Bt 1654–1659
Arthur Upton 1654–1656
Thomas Reynell 1654–1656
William Morice 1654–1656
John Hale 1654– 1656
Thomas Saunders 1654–1656
Henry Hatsell 1654–1656
William Bastard 1654
William Fry 1654
John Quick 1654
Sir John Yonge 1656
Edmund Fowell 1656
John Doddridge 1656
Not represented in Restored Rump