Robert G. Sachs
Robert G. Sachs (May 4, 1916 – April 14, 1999) was an American theoretical physicist, a founder and a director of the Argonne National Laboratory. Sachs was also notable for his work in theoretical nuclear physics, terminal ballistics, and nuclear power reactors. Sachs was also a member of the National Academy of Sciences, chairman of the Academy's Physics Section, chairman of the Academy's Class I (Physical and Mathematical Sciences), and director of the Enrico Fermi Institute of the University of Chicago. Sachs was the author of the standard textbook Nuclear Theory (1953).
Robert G. Sachs
Robert Green Sachs
May 4, 1916
|Died||April 14, 1999 82) (aged|
|Alma mater||Johns Hopkins University|
|Known for||nuclear physics, terminal ballistics, and nuclear power reactors|
|Thesis||Nuclear spins and magnetic moments by the alpha-particle model (1939)|
|Doctoral advisor||Maria Goeppert-Mayer|
|Doctoral students||Gene Amdahl|
|Other notable students||Frederick J. Ernst|
Notable honors and awards
Life and career
- Born in Hagerstown, Maryland
- Ph.D. from Johns Hopkins University in 1939
- Nagourney, Eric (April 17, 1999). "Robert Sachs, Theoretical Physicist, Dies at 82". The New York Times. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Robert Sachs, Professor Emeritus in Physics, dies at age 82". University of Chicago Chronicle. 18 (15). April 29, 1999. Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- Wali, Kameschwar C. (2004). Robert Green Sachs (PDF). Biographical Memoirs. 84. Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press. pp. 321–346. doi:10.17226/10992. ISBN 978-0-309-08957-9. Retrieved 2016-11-09.
- "Robert Green Sachs – Honorary Degree Recipient". Purdue University. Archived from the original on July 22, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Hildebrand, Roger; Winstein, Bruce; Wali, Kameshwar (August 1999). "Robert Green Sachs". Physics Today. American Institute of Physics. 52 (8): 79–81. Bibcode:1999PhT....52h..79H. doi:10.1063/1.882795.
- Kabir, P. K. (May 20, 1988). "Departures from Symmetry". Science. American Association for the Advancement of Science. 240 (4855): 1068–1069. Bibcode:1988Sci...240.1068S. doi:10.1126/science.240.4855.1068. PMID 17731737.
- Snell, Arthur (August 20, 1954). "Book Reviews". Science. AAAS. 120 (3112): 301. Bibcode:1954Sci...120..301G. doi:10.1126/science.120.3112.301-a.