Robert Fulton (Royal Marines officer)
Sir Robert Fulton
|Governor of Gibraltar|
27 September 2006 – 21 October 2009
|Chief Minister||Peter Caruana|
|Preceded by||Sir Francis Richards|
|Succeeded by||Sir Adrian Johns|
|Born||1948 (age 70–71)|
|Alma mater||University of East Anglia|
Royal College of Defence Studies
|Years of service||1972–2006|
|Commands||Commandant General Royal Marines|
3 Commando Brigade
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire|
Knight of the Order of St John
|Viceregal styles of|
Sir Robert Fulton
|Reference style||His Excellency|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
After serving as a junior officer for a number of years he was appointed to the Staff College at Warminster. He became a company commander in 42 Commando in 1983 and then undertook various staff appointments before joining the Directing Staff of the Army Staff College, Camberley in 1990.
After attending the Royal College of Defence Studies and then the Higher Command and Staff Course in 1996, he became commander of 3 Commando Brigade in 1997, Commandant-General Royal Marines in 1998 and equipment capability manager at the Ministry of Defence in 2001. In 2003 was promoted to lieutenant general on appointment as Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff (Equipment Capability).
In April 2007 it was announced that Fulton would lead an enquiry into the capture of 15 British military personnel by Iranian forces; he reported to Parliament later that year.
Fulton was honoured as a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) in the 2005 Birthday Honours. Sir Robert was appointed a Knight of the Most Venerable Order of Saint John (KStJ) on 5 August 2009.
- Gibraltar welcomes new Governor Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine
- Biography at EDA Archived 2009-10-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Gibraltar Governor heads Royal Marine inquiry". gibfocus.gi. 16 April 2007. Archived from the original on 28 September 2007. Retrieved 17 April 2007.
- "House of Commons – Defence – Fourth Report". Retrieved 31 January 2016.
- "Sir Robert Filton". Global Leadership Foundation. Retrieved 8 April 2018.
- "No. 57665". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 June 2005. p. 4.
- "Order of St John".
| Commandant General Royal Marines
| Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff
Sir Francis Richards
| Governor of Gibraltar
Sir Adrian Johns
Sir Peter Abbott
| King of Arms of the Order of the British Empire
2016 – present