He was educated at St Paul's School, London, and studied at the University of Oxford. His expert knowledge of early instruments and the interpretation of pre-classical music owed much to a period of study with Arnold Dolmetsch at Haslemere, Surrey. He was appointed OBE in the 1979 Birthday Honours.
- The Instruments of Music (1949).
- Tempo and Rhythm in Bach's Organ Music (1960).
- The Interpretation of Early Music (1963).
- Wagner's Ring and its Symbols (1963).
- String playing in baroque music, with recorded illustrations by Yehudi Menuhin, George Malcolm, (1977).
- A performer's guide to baroque music (1978).
- The Rise of Opera (1981).
- Baroque Music: Style and Performance, a Handbook (1982).
- Opera and its symbols : the unity of words, music, and staging (1990).
- The Psychology of Tristan, Times Literary Supplement, 18 June 1971, pp 699–700
Sadie, S. (ed.) (1980) The New Grove Dictionary of Music & Musicians, [vol. #5].