The first settlement at Roanoke was made in 1836. The community took its name from Roanoke Plantation, in Virginia, the native state of a first settler. A post office was established on the Randolph County side in 1838, where it remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1871.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Roanoke, Missouri
- "Randolph County Place Names, 1928–1945". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Archived from the original on June 24, 2016. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Eaton, David Wolfe (1916). How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named. The State Historical Society of Missouri. p. 175.
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.