Riverside Memorial Chapel
The original company, Meyers Livery Stable, was founded in 1897 by Louis Meyers on Norfolk Street on the Lower East Side of Manhattan. In 1905, the business was relocated to 54 East 109th Street and the name was change to Meyers Undertakers. In 1916, the business was relocated to 228 Lenox Avenue (at 122nd Street) in Harlem and the name changed to Meyers & Company. In 1926, they moved to 180 West 76th Street and Amsterdam Avenue in Manhattan and built a large four story chapel. In 1933, they divided into two separate companies Riverside Memorial Chapel and Parkwest Chapels. They expanded thereafter to Miami, Florida (1935); Brooklyn (1938); the Bronx (1940); and Westchester County, New York (1950). The company, then owned by the founder's grandson, Edward Rosenthal, expanded via acquisitions acquiring the Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel (1948), the Universal Funeral Chapel (1955); and the Walter B. Cooke Chapel (1957) to become the largest funeral company in the United States. In 1958, Rosenthal retired and ceded control to his son-in-law Steve Ross. In 1961, the company was merged with the Kinney Parking Company and taken public via its parent Kinney Service Corporation. In 1971, Kinney Service Corporation was purchased by Service Corporation International.
- Riverside Memorial Chapel: "History" retrieved September 15, 2016
- New York Times: "Edward Rosenthal, 87, Executive at Warner From 1972 Until 1983" By ALFONSO A. NARVAEZ May 25, 1991
- Bruck, Connie (April 2, 2013). Master of the Game. Simon & Schuster. ISBN 9781476737706.