Rivers United F.C.
Rivers United Football Club is a professional football club based in Port Harcourt, Rivers State that participates in the Nigerian Professional Football League, the highest level of domestic Nigerian football. The club was formed by the merger of Sharks F.C. and Dolphins F.C. in 2016. Their home stadium is the Yakubu Gowon Stadium, formerly Liberation Stadium in Elekahia that has a seating capacity of 30,000.
|Nickname(s)||The Pride of Rivers|
|Ground||Yakubu Gowon Stadium (formerly Liberation Stadium)|
Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria
|League||Nigerian Professional Football League|
Rivers United FC has remained in the top flight since its first season.
Rivers United was founded in 2016 after the Rivers state government got permission to merge Dolphins FC and Sharks FC. Both clubs were run by the state government and were having difficulty with finances off the pitch. Sharks were relegated to the First Division in 2015 while Dolphins had barely escaped after a 2–2 draw on the final day. Rivers United' crest contains both a shark and a dolphin as a result of the merge.
The club finished second in the 2016 Nigerian Premier League which qualified them for the 2017 CAF Champions League for the first time. A four-goal second-leg win over Mali's AS Bamako with Esosa Igbinoba and Bernard Ovoke each scoring braces put Rivers past the preliminary round. However, they were eliminated by Sudan's Al-Merrikh 4–3 on aggregate in the first round after losing a 3–0 first round lead.
Acting General Manager
- Okey Kpalukwu
- Albert Chinwo
- "Blue tide rising as United stun Enyimba". supersport.com.
- "Dolphins, Sharks merged, now Rivers Utd F.C." Vanguard. 19 February 2016. Retrieved 23 February 2016.
- "Dolphins, Sharks F.C merge to form new club". Pulse Nigeria. 19 February 2016.
- Orevba, Babajide (19 February 2016). "Dolphins, Sharks change name to Rivers United". Legit.ng - Nigeria news.
- "Dolphins renamed Rivers United Football Club | Goal.com". www.goal.com.
- "'We can't lose to Enyimba'- Rivers United coach Stanley Eguma stokes up the fire ahead of must win title cracker this week". Linda Ikeji's Blog. 6 June 2016.
- "CAF clubs competitions draws: North African ties for Rangers, FC Ifeanyi Ubah". 22 December 2016.
- "Rivers United trash Real Bamako". supersport.com.
- Agberebi, James. "CAFCL: Rivers United Blow Big First Leg Lead Vs Al-Merrikh, Crash Out". Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Rivers Utd get management team". supersport.com.