Ripley, North Yorkshire
Ripley is a village and civil parish in North Yorkshire in England, a few miles north of Harrogate on the A61 road towards Ripon. The village name derives from Old English and is believed to mean wood of the Hrype or Ripon people.
A castle dating from the 15th century, Ripley Castle, has been the home of the Ingilby family for 700 years. The present owner is Sir Thomas Ingilby, 6th Baronet (see Ingilby Baronets), the 28th generation. The castle, which has a priest hole, is open for public tours. The landscaped castle grounds and ornamental lakes are also open to the public.
A 19th century Ingilby tore down the old village and modelled it after an Alsatian village with an "hôtel de ville" style town hall. The castle and the parish church were not affected by the reconstruction.
In March 2017, the village was named number 17 out of the 20 Best Villages in Britain to live in (one of only two in the North of England). The listing describes it as a popular satellite village of Harrogate and that families from London having been moving here and commuting to London twice-weekly.
- Ripley Group - Ripley Fine Foods Limited, Ripley Traditional Sweet Company, The World Famous Ripley Ice Cream and Ripley Store
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Ripley Parish (1170217072)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 2 June 2018.
- Ekwall, Eilert (1960). The concise Oxford dictionary of English place-names (4 ed.). Oxford: Clarendon Press. p. 388. ISBN 0-19-869103-3.
- Sir Thomas Ingilby. "Ingilby History: 700 Years of Ingilbys at Ripley Introduction". Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Castle Tour - Ripley Castle". www.ripleycastle.co.uk. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Gardens to visit: Ripley Castle". The Telegraph. 21 May 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- "Ripley... home of the blues". The Yorkshire Post. 7 October 2005. Retrieved 13 March 2017.
- Mitchell, David. "Tour de France in Ripley". www.hedgehogcycling.co.uk. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "Yorkshire: Harrogate to Ripley" (PDF). sustrans.org.uk. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- Rowlinson, Liz. "20 best villages in Britain". The Times (72169). Times 2 supplement. p. 2. ISSN 0140-0460.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ripley, North Yorkshire.|