Rideau Curling Club
|Rideau Curling Club|
|Location||715 Cooper Street|
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
|Club type||Dedicated Ice|
|CCA region||OCA Zone 2|
|Sheets of ice||Five|
|Rock colours||Red and Blue|
The original club began operation in November, 1888 as the Rideau Skating and Curling Club. The first facility of the club was the Rideau Skating Rink located on Waller Street, which opened in February 1889. The club's original president was Sir Sandford Fleming, and Governor General Lord Stanley as patron. Fleming, who had been a member of the Ottawa Curling Club started the club because the Ottawa would not serve alcoholic beverages after matches.
The club was moved from their Waller St. home in 1916, when their land was requisitioned for war purposes. Their second home (1916–1930) was approximately the present site of the Supreme Court of Canada. From 1931 until 1949 the club was located at 277 Laurier Ave West, and the club reached their present home, at Cooper and Percy Streets in July 1949.
- Rideau Curling Club official website
- E.L. Brittain (17 January 1912). "Visiting curlers from Scotland with Rideau Curling club members". Canadian Museum of Civilization. Retrieved 2008-06-13.
- Rideau Heritage Route: Rideau Curling Club