Americo Zorilla "Rico" Alaniz (October 25, 1919 – March 9, 2015) was a Mexican-born American actor in film and television best known for his role of the peaceful Cheyenne informer "Mr. Cousin" in sixteen episodes from 1955 to 1959 of the ABC/Desilu western television series, The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, with Hugh O'Brian in the title role as deputy Marshal Wyatt Earp.
Americo "Rico" Alaniz
Alaniz in The Adventures of Kit Carson (1951)
|Died||March 9, 2015 95) (aged|
In eight episodes of The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp, Alaniz appeared with Rodd Redwing in the part of "Mr. Brother", who is killed in the 1958 episode "One" by the Dry Gulch Gang. Several episodes of the series are spent as Marshal Earp hunts down the gang and makes sure that all four members are tried, and as it resulted, hanged. Alaniz was also cast in two other episodes of the series, as Esteban Morango in "The Schoolteacher" (1958) and as Joe Riva in "Death for a Stolen Horse" (1959).
Among his early television roles were four episodes of the syndicated western series, The Adventures of Kit Carson, starring Bill Williams. In the premiere episode on August 11, 1951 entitled "California Outlaws", Alaniz was cast as Joaquin Murrieta.
His roles, mostly of an Indian or ethnic part, ranged from Small Cloud in the 1958 episode "Deadlock" of the ABC/Warner Brothers western series, Sugarfoot with Will Hutchins, to Crooked Hand in the 1969 episode "The Allies" of NBC's Daniel Boone, with Fess Parker in the title role.
Alaniz was cast five times on The High Chaparral, four times on Bonanza, three times on Gunsmoke, and twice each on 26 Men, Border Patrol, The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin, Tales of Wells Fargo, Rawhide, The Wild Wild West, The Fugitive, and The Loretta Young Show.
In the episode "The Perfect Circle" (1959) of the CBS crime drama Tightrope, starring Mike Connors, Alaniz was cast as a detective. In 1972, in one of Alaniz's last television roles, he played a doctor in the episode "Broker Mirror" of the CBS series Mannix, also starring Mike Connors. Alaniz played Manuel Ortega, who ambushes a stagecoach carrying a man accused of murdering Ortega's sister, in the 1960 episode, "Day of Vengeance" of the NBC western series, Laramie, starring John Smith and Robert Fuller.
In 1962, he was cast in two crime drama television series, as Colonel Luna in the episode "Flight from Escondido" of the ABC/WB detective series, 77 Sunset Strip, starring Efrem Zimbalist Jr., and as Rafael Bencosme in "Ramon" on NBC's 87th Precinct.
- The Capture (1950) - Policeman (uncredited)
- A Lady Without Passport (1950) - Young Cuban Man (uncredited)
- Mister 880 (1950) - Carlos - Spanish Interpreter (uncredited)
- Smuggler's Island (1951) - Young Portuguese (uncredited)
- Hollywood Story (1951) - Spanish Actor (uncredited)
- Golden Girl (1951) - Bandit (uncredited)
- The Fighter (1952) - Carlos
- Viva Zapata! (1952) - Guard (uncredited)
- Macao (1952) - Bus Driver (uncredited)
- California Conquest (1952) - Pedro
- Tropic Zone (1953) - Capt. Basilio (uncredited)
- Jeopardy (1953) - Officer at 1st Roadblock (uncredited)
- Column South (1953) - Trooper Chavez
- The Desert Song (1953) - Legionnaire (uncredited)
- Wings of the Hawk (1953) - Capt. Gomez
- Conquest of Cochise (1953) - Felipe
- Appointment in Honduras (1953) - Bermudez
- Jubilee Trail (1954) - Spaniard (uncredited)
- Phantom of the Rue Morgue (1954) - Gendarme (uncredited)
- Siege at Red River (1954) - Chief Yellow Hawk
- Drum Beat (1954) - Medicine Man (uncredited)
- Green Fire (1954) - Antonio
- The Last Command (1955) - Tomas (uncredited)
- Santiago (1956) - Dominguez (uncredited)
- Back from Eternity (1956) - Latin Official (uncredited)
- The Cruel Tower (1956) - Frenchy (uncredited)
- The Women of Pitcairn Island (1956) - The Spanisher
- Stagecoach to Fury (1956) - Miguel Torres
- The Toughest Gun in Tombstone (1958) - Fernandez (uncredited)
- War of the Colossal Beast (1958) - Sgt. Luis Murillo
- Hong Kong Confidential (1958) - Fernando
- Wolf Larsen (1958) - Louis
- Sea Hunt (1960, Season 3, Episode 13) - Carlos Prado
- The Magnificent Seven (1960) - Sotero
- Summer and Smoke (1961) - Knife Thrower (uncredited)
- The Virginian (1963 episode "The Mountain of the Sun" - Bandido Leader
- Hotel (1967) - Chairman (uncredited)
- Final Analysis (1992) - Old Spanish Man (final film role)