Richmond Flying Squirrels
The Richmond Flying Squirrels are a Minor League Baseball team based in Richmond, Virginia. The team, which is a part of the Eastern League, is the Double-A affiliate of the San Francisco Giants major league club, and plays at The Diamond. The Squirrels were previously known as the Connecticut Defenders.
|Richmond Flying Squirrels|
Founded in 2010
|Minor league affiliations|
|League||Eastern League (2010–present)|
|Major league affiliations|
|Current||San Francisco Giants (2010–present)|
|Minor league titles|
|Colors||Red, black, gray, white|
|Ballpark||The Diamond (2010–present)|
|General Manager||Todd Parnell|
The Flying Squirrels mark affiliated baseball's return to Richmond after a one-year absence prompted by the relocation of the former Triple-A International League's Richmond Braves to Lawrenceville, Georgia in 2009, where they are now called the Gwinnett Stripers.
On September 23, 2009, it was announced that the Connecticut Defenders would leave Norwich for their current home at The Diamond in Richmond, Virginia, where they will continue seeking proposals for a new ballpark in the Richmond metropolitan area. The team name was changed to the "Flying Squirrels".
The name the Richmond Flying Squirrels was chosen through a Richmond Times-Dispatch readers "name-the-team-contest," which ended on October 15, 2009. The name was submitted by Brad Mead of Prince George, Virginia. Other finalists were the Rock Hoppers, Hambones, Rhinos, Flatheads, and Hush Puppies. (The name Hambones was later ruled out of the contest after the city's uproar and the NAACP finding that "the Hambones" could be seen as a derogatory term directed towards the African-American community.)
The new Flying Squirrels logo was unveiled on December 1, 2009. It is a black, red, and grey flying squirrel with a patch in the shape of an "R" (for Richmond) on top of an acorn over its heart. The logo was designed by San Diego-based sports branding firm Brandiose. It was named the logo of the year by Ballpark Digest in 2010 and the best minor-league logo by Baseball America in 2015.
- 2010: 68–73 (5th), manager Andy Skeels
- 2011: 76–66 (2nd), manager Dave Machemer
- 2012: 70-71 (4th), manager Dave Machemer
- 2013: 70-72 (4th), manager Dave Machemer
- 2014: 79-63 (1st), manager Russ Morman
- 2015: 72-68 (3rd), manager José Alguacil
- 2016: 62–79 (5th), manager Miguel Ojeda
- 2017: 63–77 (5th), manager Kyle Haines
- 2018: 62–76 (6th), manager Kyle Haines
Richmond Flying Squirrels roster
- O'connor, John (October 15, 2009). "Flying Squirrels picked as new baseball team name". Richmond Times-Dispatch. Richmond, VA: Media General Communications Holdings. Archived from the original on February 4, 2013. Retrieved April 26, 2010.
- "Logo of the Year: Richmond Flying Squirrels". BallparkDigest.com. Retrieved January 11, 2018.
- "Flying Squirrels No. 1 minor league logo according to Baseball America". Richmond.com. Retrieved January 11, 2018.