Lieutenant General Richard John Cripwell, CB, CBE (born 1962) is a senior British Army officer. He served as Head of the British Defence Staff in Washington, D.C. from 2015 to 2017, and assumed his previous appointment as Deputy Commander of NATO's Resolute Support Mission in October 2017. He is currently Deputy Commander Allied Land Command.
Lieutenant General Richard Cripwell
|Born||1962 (age 56–57)|
|Years of service||1982 –|
|Commands held||British Forces Cyprus|
Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Task Force in Kosovo
26 Engineer Regiment
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)
Early life and education
Cripwell was born in 1962 in Newry, Northern Ireland. He was educated in Dublin, Ireland, and at Welbeck College.
Cripwell was commissioned into the Royal Engineers in 1982. He became commanding officer of 26 Engineer Regiment and then served as commander of the Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Task Force in Kosovo. He went on to be Assistant Chief of Staff at Permanent Joint Headquarters in January 2010, Director Strategic Transition and Assessments Group at the Headquarters of the International Security Assistance Force in February 2012 and Commander British Forces Cyprus and Administrator of the Sovereign Base Areas in January 2013. After that he became Head of the British Defence Staff and Defence Attaché in Washington, D.C. in March 2015. In the 2017 New Year Honours, Cripwell was appointed Companion of the Order of the Bath, and in October he became the Deputy Commander of NATO's Resolute Support Mission. Cripwell assumed the appointment of Deputy Commander NATO Allied Land Command on 22 February 2019.
- "Cripwell, Lt Gen. Richard John". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U262037. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- "Brigadier Richard Cripwell". Welbeck College. Archived from the original on 22 May 2015. Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "Forces TV Meets Outgoing Head of BFC". Forces TV. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Ministry of Defence and Senior Tri-Service Appointments" (PDF). Retrieved 7 June 2015.
- "No. 61803". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2016. p. N2.
- "Cripwell assumes responsibility as deputy commander; Castellano bids farewell". 24 October 2017. Retrieved 7 June 2018.
- "LANDCOM transitions Deputy Commanders". 22 February 2019. Retrieved 24 February 2019.
| Commander British Forces Cyprus
| Head of the British Defence Staff – US and Defence Attaché