Revue is an album by the jazz group the World Saxophone Quartet released on the Italian Black Saint label. The album features performances and compositions by Hamiet Bluiett, Julius Hemphill, Oliver Lake and David Murray.
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||October 14, 1980|
|World Saxophone Quartet chronology|
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow awarded the album 4 stars, stating, "The nine numbers on this set are generally concise (only two songs exceed six minutes) and consist of originals by all four saxophonists: altoist Julius Hemphill (who contributed four of the nine pieces), baritonist Hamiet Bluiett, altoist Oliver Lake and tenor saxophonist David Murray. Sometimes quite rhythmic (and almost danceable) despite not having a rhythm section, the WSQ used melodies and rhythm for their own purposes, creating unpredictable music that always holds one's attention. This release is a good example of their talents.".
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|
- "Revue" (Hemphill) - 8:00
- "Affairs of the Heart" (Hemphill) - 5:40
- "Slide" (Hemphill) - 3:41
- "Little Samba" (Hemphill) - 5:26
- "I Heard That" (Bluiett) - 3:23
- "Hymn for the Old Year" (Lake) - 4:24
- "Ming" (Murray) - 4:21
- "David's Tune" (Murray) - 8:15
- "Quinn Chapel A.M. E Church" (Bluiett) - 1:03