Retail Council of Canada
The Retail Council of Canada was founded in 1963. It is a Canadian not-for-profit association representing more than 45,000 stores of all retail formats, including independent merchants, regional and national mass and specialty chains, and online merchants. It strives to be the voice of the retail industry "to advance, promote and protect the interests of our members through effective advocacy, communications and education."
Board of Directors
- Chair - Greg Hicks, President, Canadian Tire Retail
- Vice-Chair -
- Treasurer -
- President & CEO, Diane J. Brisebois
- Alain Baird - President & CEO, The Stitch It Group Inc.
- Nicolas Caprio - COO and General Manager, Rexall Pharmacy Group Ltd.
- Troy Dunn - Director of Retail Canada, Apple Canada
- Greg Hicks - President, Canadian Tire Retail
- Clint Mahlman - Executive Vice-President & CEO, London Drugs Limited
- Anne Martin-Vachon - President, Today's Shopping Choice
- Susan Muigai - Executive Vice President, People & Corporate Affairs, Walmart Canada
- Doug Nathanson - Senior Vice President, General Counsel, Sobeys, Inc.
- Gary Senecal - Chief Customer Officer, Loblaw Companies Limited
- Paul Simmonds - President, Robert Simmonds Inc.
- George Soleas - President & CEO, Liquor Control Board of Ontario
- Gillian Stein - President, Henry's
- Ron Wilson- President, Best Buy International
Distinguished Canadian Retailer of the Year Award
The Distinguished Canadian Retailer of the Year Award recognizes a retail leader that has led his/her company to outstanding business success and innovation and that has consistently demonstrated community commitment and support. The recipient is seen as a role model because of his/her exceptional leadership within the corporation, in the retail industry in Canada and in the community at large, through personal and/or corporate philanthropic activities. While years of service within the company are not a prerequisite, the individual's term as chief executive officer must commensurate with the company's outstanding success. The individual must be widely respected throughout the industry for his/her achievements and the corporation he/she represents must be seen as a leader in the business community.
- 2013-Stephen Wetmore, Canadian Tire Corporation
- 2012-Brian Hill, Aritzia
- 2011-Heather Reisman, Indigo Books & Music
- 2010-Steve Matyas, Staples Canada
- 2009-Louise Wendling, Costco Canada
- 2008-Laurence Lewin, La Senza Corporation
- 2007-Mario Pilozzi, Walmart Canada
- 2006-Edward Kennedy, The North West Company
- 2005-Annette Verschuren, Home Depot Canada
- 2004-Wayne Sales, Canadian Tire Corporation
- 2003-Wynne Powell, London Drugs
- 2002-David Margolis, Winners Merchants Inc.
- 2001-John Forzani, The Forzani Group Ltd.
- 2000-Dave Ferguson, Walmart Canada
- 1999-Paul S. Walters, Sears Canada Inc.
- 1998-Stephen Bachand, Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd.
- 1997-Richard Currie, Loblaw Companies Ltd.
- 1996-David Bloom, Shoppers Drug Mart
- 1995-Allister Graham, Oshawa Group
- 1994-Donald Beaumont, Kmart Canada
- 1993-George Ross Eaton, The T. Eaton Company
- 1992-David Sobey, Sobeys Inc.
- 1991-Harvey Webber, The Smart Shop
- 1990-Dick Sharpe, Sears Canada Inc.
- 1989-Tom Bata, Bata Retail
- 1988-Walter Hachborn, Home Hardware
- 1987-Ray Wolfe, Oshawa Group
- 1986-Murray Koffler, Shoppers Drug Mart
- 1985-Abe Calp, Calps New Brunswick
- 1984-Ed Mirvish, Honest Ed's
- 1983 (Shared)-Jack Barrow, Sears Canada Inc.
- 1983 (Shared)-Tom Bolton, Dominion Stores
Lifetime achievement award
The Lifetime Achievement Award recognizes a senior executive with a minimum of 25 consecutive years of retail service who has demonstrated outstanding business success and community service throughout his/her career.
- 2013-(Not Awarded)
- 2012-Bill McEwan, Sobeys Inc.
- 2011-(Not Awarded)
- 2010-Gordon Reid, Giant Tiger Stores Ltd.
- 2009-Réjean Dionne, Le Groupe Aldo Inc.
- 2008-Dr. William H. Comrie, The Brick Warehouse Corporation
- 2007-Walter J. Hachborn, Home Hardware Stores Ltd.
- 2006-Herschel Segal, Le Château Inc.
- 2005-Richard Currie, Loblaw Companies Ltd.
- 2004-(Not Awarded)
- 2003-Thomas J. and Sonja I. Bata, Bata Shoe Organization
- 2002-(Not Awarded)
- 2001-Harry Rosen, Harry Rosen Inc.
- 2000-Aldo Bensadoun, The Aldo Group
- 1999-Ed Mirvish, Honest Ed's
Other Awards of Distinction
- Canadian Retail Hall of Fame
Excellence in Retailing Awards
- Corporate & Social Responsibility
- Energy & Environmental Sustainability
- Health, Safety & Wellness
- Loss Prevention
- Marketing & Communications
- Store Design
- Talent Development
- "Retail Council of Canada: About us". Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Retail Council of Canada: Awards of Distinction". Retrieved 25 February 2014.
- "Retail Council of Canada: Lifetime Achievement Award". Retrieved 25 February 2014.