Republic of Crema
The so-called Republic of Crema (Italian: Repubblica Cremasca) was a revolutionary municipality in Lombardy, which was created when the French army entered Crema on 28 March 1797. It ruled the local affairs of the city and its neighbourhood, which previously were a Venetian exclave in the Duchy of Milan. The municipality entered then into the Cisalpine Republic in July 1797.
Republic of Crema
Coat of arms
|Status||Client state of France|
|Historical era||Napoleonic Wars|
|March 28 1797|
|July 10 1797|
|Today part of|
The city of Crema and its surroundings had been annexed by the Republic of Venice since 1449, and had been ruled by a Venetian podestà for more than three centuries. On 28 March 1797 a troop of French dragoons entered and occupied the city (without facing any resistance) and arrested the last Venetian magistrate, the duke Zan Battista Contarini.
A new municipality was formed to control the city, which was composed mostly of small landowners and local nobles. They proclaimed then the new Republic of Crema, that had the control of the town and the territories now belonging to the province of Crema.
The small revolutionary republic had a short life. Three months later, on 29 July 1797, its territory merged with the Cisalpine Republic and legally annexed to it on the base of the Treaty of Campo Formio, becoming part of the Adda department and later on the Alto Po one.
- Dippel, Horst (2010). "Constitutions of the world from the late 18th century to the middle of 19th century" (in Italian). De Gruyter, Göttingen. p. 17. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- "The history of Crema". Comune di Crema (official site of the municipality) (in Italian). Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- Solera, Giovanni (1845). " Storia di Crema raccolta per Alemanio Fino dagli annali di M. Pietro Terni" (in Italian). Ronchetti e Ferreri, Milan. p. 108. Retrieved July 25, 2017.