Renato Casaro (Italian: [reˈnaːto kaˈzaːro]; born 26 October 1935 in Treviso, Italy) is an Italian artist known for his movie posters, which include films like My Name Is Nobody, Quadrophenia, Conan the Barbarian, Tenebrae, Octopussy, Never Say Never Again, Rambo: First Blood Part II (Int'l Version), Red Sonja and Flesh and Blood. He is considered one of the most important, influential and innovative Italian's film poster artists. He has made hundreds of works dedicated to the cinema, becoming very popular abroad. He has also painted calendars, collectibles, book covers and album covers.
Casaro in 2016
|Known for||Poster art, Illustration|
|Awards||Ciak d'oro, 1988|
Ciak d'oro, 1991
Jupiter Award, 1992
Renato Casaro was born on 26 October 1935 in Treviso, Italy. His early interest in posters reportedly began with movie advertisements. He would go every day to the cinema to see if they were changing the posters, and if they were he would ask if he could take them home where he would try to reproduce them. In 1953, at age 18, Renato found a job as a staff artist at Studio Favalli, a famous design and art studio of Rome's film industry. In Rome, at age 21, Renato opened his own art studio.
Dino De Laurentiis hired Casaro in 1965 to design the poster images for the film The Bible: In the Beginning.... After that, Casaro worked on many films with De Laurentiis, like Flash Gordon, Dune and Conan the Barbarian. In the same time Casaro continued his business, producing posters for different directors like Sergio Leone, Claude Lelouch, Francis Ford Coppola, Bernardo Bertolucci, Luc Besson, Franco Zeffirelli and Rainer Werner Fassbinder.
In 2019, Casaro was called by Quentin Tarantino to realize some "old school illustrated Western posters" ("Uccidimi Subito Ringo, disse il Gringo" aka "Kill Me Now Ringo, Said The Gringo" and "Nebraska Jim") for Italian films starring Rick Dalton, the character Leonardo DiCaprio plays in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
Selected International Movie Posters
- Army of Darkness (1992)
- Conan the Barbarian (1982)
- Dune (1984)
- Fire, Ice and Dynamite (1990)
- Flesh and Blood (1985)
- Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)
- My Name Is Nobody (1973)
- Over the Top (1987)
- Red Sonja (1985)
- The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (1988)
- The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter (1990)
- "Wine Country Film Festival - 1992 Outdoor screenings". wcff.us. Retrieved Jul 3, 2016.
- Hans-Martin Heider. Renato Casaro - from Hollywood to Africa. Heider, 2003, p. 175. ISBN 9783873143890.
- "Renato Casaro Discography at Discogs". discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-04-30.
- Eugenio Manzato. L'Italia al cinema: manifesti dalla Raccolta Salce 1911-1961 (in Italian). Marsilio, 1992. ISBN 9788831756129.
- "An interview with Renato Casaro". filmonpaper.com. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "Renato Casaro". posterguide.org. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "Kinoplakate von Renato Casaro". www.filmposter-archiv.de. Retrieved 2016-05-21.
- "Retro Once Upon A Time In Hollywood posters make us even more excited to see it". metro.co.uk. Retrieved 2019-05-21.
- "C'era una volta a… Hollywood: Leonardo DiCaprio è Rick Dalton in due poster che omaggiano il cinema italiano" (in Italian). www.badtaste.it. Retrieved 2019-05-18.