Reichstag is a German word generally meaning parliament, more directly translated as Diet of the Realm or National diet, or more loosely as Imperial Diet. It may refer to:
|Look up Reichstag in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Buildings and places
Reichstagsgebäude is the specific German word for parliamentary buildings, often shortened to Reichstag, and may refer to:
- Reichstag building, the building where German Parliaments met 1894–1933 and since 1999
- Parliament House, Helsinki (Swedish: Riksdagshuset, Finnish: Eduskuntatalo)
- Parliament House, Stockholm (Swedish: Riksdagshuset)
Historic legislative bodies in German-speaking countries have been referred to as Reichstag, including:
- Imperial Diet (Holy Roman Empire), called the Reichstag from about 15th century, earlier known as the Hoftag (777–1806)
- Imperial Diet (Austria), first elected parliament of Austria (1848–1849), known as the Reichstag
- Reichstag (North German Confederation), parliament of the North German Confederation (1867–1870)
- Reichstag (German Empire), parliament of the German Empire (1871–1918)
- Reichstag (Weimar Republic), parliament of the Weimar Republic (1919–1933)
- Reichstag (Nazi Germany), pseudo-parliament of the Third Reich (1933–1945)
- Scandinavian parliamentary bodies which bear or bore the name Riksdag are also called Reichstag when referred to in the German language; these words have the same origin.
- Synod of Worms (1076), Imperial Diet convened by Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV which sought to depose Pope Gregory VII
- Diet of Worms (German: Reichstag zu Worms), Imperial Diet in 1521 at which Martin Luther was declared a heretic.
- Diet of Augsburg (German: Reichstag zu Augsburg), noteworthy sessions of the Imperial Diet in 1530 and 1555.
- Reichstag Peace Resolution (1917), an unsuccessful attempt by the Reichstag to end World War I
- Reichstag fire (1933), an arson attack on the Reichstag building which provided a pretext for the Nazis to seize power
- Raising the flag over the Reichstag (May 2, 1945), the soviets raise the flag of the soviet union over the Reichstag after capturing the building after the battle of Berlin
- Bundestag and Bundesrat of Germany, the two legislative bodies in the Federal Republic of Germany
- Reichsrat (disambiguation), roughly "Imperial Council", a smaller more powerful legislative body in several German-speaking countries, similar to the Upper House of a Parliament
- Riksdag, the parliaments of Sweden and Finland, the latter called eduskunta in the Finnish language.
- Rigsdagen, the parliament of Denmark from 1849 to 1953
- Riksråd, generic name in Scandinavian countries for various Councils of the Realm