Redland Football Club
Redland Australian Football Club (nicknamed The Bombers) is a Redland City-based Australian rules football club competing in the North East Australian Football League (NEAFL) since 2011. They have previously been a part of the AFL Queensland State League competition.
|Full name||Redland Australian Football Club|
|Club song||"See the bombers fly up"|
Primarily named "Victoria Point Australian Football Club", it was founded in 1966 by Mr Ern Dowling. In 1970 the club changed its name to the "Victoria Point Redlands Australian Football Club". In 1972 a further name change took place and the club was now known as "Redlands Australian Football Club". The club won senior premierships in the South Queensland Football Association Division One – 1998-9 (2 total); SQFA Division Two – 1975, 1987 (2 total).
In 2000 Redland joined the elite AFL Queensland State League and in 2002 the club formally linked as a sister club with the AFL's Essendon Football Club. The "Redland Sharks" name was exchanged for the "Redland Bombers" and the players wore the same guernsey as Essendon.
Yet to win its first AFLQ premiership, Redland won three wooden spoons from 2005 to 2007 but has been highly competitive since 2009 playing off in four NEAFL finals series, making the semi finals consecutively in 2012 and 2013.
- 2001, Paul O'Brien
- 2012, Thomas Salter
AFLQ Top Goalkickers
- 2001, Paul O'Brien (113)
- Michael West – (Western Bulldogs, 2005)
- Paul O'Shea - (Western Bulldogs, 2007)
- Brad Howard - (St.Kilda, 2007)
- Jake Spencer - (Melbourne, 2008).
- Josh Thomas - (Collingwood 2009)
- Charlie Dixon was the first player signed to the Gold Coast Suns
- Alex Sexton (Gold Coast Suns 2011)
- Sam Michael - (Brisbane Lions 2011 rookie)
- Adam Oxley – (Collingwood 2012 rookie)
- William Pointer - (Heathcote Saints)