Recycling in Taiwan
History of recycling in Taiwan can be traced back by the 4-in-1 recycling program initiated by the Environmental Protection Administration and implemented in 1997. Prior to the introduction of the recycling program, there were many protests by Taiwanese residents over illegal dumping and industrial pollution. Other issues facing the country included the rapidly decreasing landfill space.
The 4-in-1 recycling program is part of Taiwan's extended producer responsibility (EPR) scheme. The fees charged by this program are paid by manufacturers and importers to the government, which uses this money to fund recycling programs such as educational campaigns and development of new recycling programs.
In 1997, the recycling rate in Taiwan was 5.87%, however that has increased to over 60% in some areas as of 2011, with a nationwide average of 55%. In the same time, household daily waste has decreased from 1.14kg to 0.43kg.
Recycling by materials
- Bakshi, Garima (19 May 2016). "Taiwan has one of the world's most efficient recycling systems". Global Citizen. Archived from the original on 5 April 2017.
- Chen, Kathy (17 May 2016). "Taiwan: The World's Geniuses of Garbage Disposal". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Archived from the original on 19 June 2017. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- Fillingham, Zachary (27 May 2013). "Taiwan's Recycling Revolution: Lessons for Canada | Geopolitical Monitor". Geopolitical Monitor. Archived from the original on 24 January 2018.
- "What A Waste - Taiwan Today". Taiwan Today. 1 June 1996. Archived from the original on 13 July 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- Maynard, Nate (24 January 2018). "Taiwan's Waste Reduction Miracle - The News Lens International Edition". The News Lens International Edition. Archived from the original on 24 January 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Taiwan's Recycling Boom: A Shining Example for Asia, the World". The Diplomat. 3 December 2013. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- "Recycling Fund Management Board brochure" (PDF). EPA Taiwan. Archived from the original on 13 July 2018. Retrieved 13 July 2018.
- Yang, Sophia (16 November 2017). "Resew and rebirth: Taipei IN Style joins calls to give fabric waste a new life | Taiwan News". Taiwan News. Archived from the original on 17 November 2017.
- Jennings, Ralph (23 March 2016). "In Taiwan, leftover food scraps help farmers sustain porky appetites". The Guardian. Archived from the original on 24 March 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Recycling in Taiwan.|