Rankins Springs is a village in the Riverina region of New South Wales, Australia in Carrathool Shire and on the Mid-Western Highway. At the census, Rankins Springs had a population of 299. The settlement of Rankins Springs is strung out along the Mid-Western Highway and adjacent railway line.
New South Wales
Mid-Western Highway passing through Rankins Springs
|Population||173 (2016 census)|
The site of the original township was 10 km north-west of its current location along the Hillston Road. Rankins Springs was established in 1869 around the springs at the foot of the Conapaira Range (from which the township was named). Rankins Springs Post Office opened on 1 September 1875.
The railway reached Rankins Springs in 1923. Passenger service was halted in 1974, and grain freight service was halted in 2004.
The main agricultural activities of the district around Rankins Springs are the growing of crops such as wheat and oats, and beef-cattle and wool-production.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Rankins Springs (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 March 2015.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 11 June 2009.
- ‘Rankins Springs’, Sydney Morning Herald Travel, FairfaxDigital.
- "Rankins Springs Line". nswrail.net. Retrieved 15 May 2007.
- Bush, Tim. "Submission to the NSW Grain Freight Review" (PDF). p. 7. Retrieved 1 February 2017.