Ralph Snyderman is chancellor emeritus at Duke University, James B. Duke Professor of Medicine, and director of the Duke Center for Personalized Health Care. He served as chancellor for health affairs and dean of the School of Medicine from 1989 to July 2004. During this period, he oversaw the development of the Duke University Health System and served as its first president and chief executive officer. Duke University Hospital went from being nationally ranked in 3 specialities and 8th overall in 1991 up to 10 specialties and 6th overall in 2004. Snyderman has played a role in the conception and development of personalized health care, an evolving model of national health care delivery. He has articulated the need to move the current focus of health care from the treatment of disease-events to personalized, predictive, preventive, and participatory care that is focused on the patient. Ralph Snyderman was the recipient of the 2012 David E. Rogers Award from the Association of American Medical Colleges who recognized him as "The Father of Personalized Medicine." He is a member of the National Academy of Medicine.
A graduate of Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland, Snyderman received his MD in 1965 from SUNY Downstate Medical Center. He served his internship and residency in medicine at Duke, and later worked as a Public Health Officer doing research in immunology at the NIH.
Snyderman accepted his first faculty appointment at Duke in 1972 and by 1984, he was the Frederic M. Hanes Professor of Medicine and Immunology. He is a well-cited researcher in the field of inflammation and has won many awards for his seminal work on leukocyte chemotaxis. Snyderman discovered C5a, a major chemotactic factor responsible for white blood cell accumulation and vascular permiability at sites of inflammation. He also discovered chemotactic lymphokines, anticipating the field of chemokine research. Snyderman has contributed to almost 400 scientific manuscripts.
Honors and awards
- 2003 – Ellis Island Medal of Honor
- 2003 – Bravewell Leadership Award
- 2007 – Leadership in Personalized Medicine Award from the Personalized Medicine Coalition
- 2008 – Industrial Research Institute (IRI) Medal
- 2008 – Frost & Sullivan's 2008 North American HealthCare Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2010 – Bioscience Leader Emeriti by the North Carolina Association for Biomedical Research
- 2011 – William B. Anlyan, MD, Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2012 – David E. Rogers Award from the Association of American Medical Colleges
- 2014 – North Carolina Life Sciences Leadership Award
- 2016 – Personalized Medicine World Conference's Pioneer Award
- "People – Duke Personalized Health Care". Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "A Chancellor′s Tale | Duke University Press". www.dukeupress.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Ralph Snyderman, Chancellor | Duke Medical Center Archives". archives.mc.duke.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Resource Link". getitatduke.library.duke.edu. Retrieved 2016-07-21.
- "Previous Chancellors – Duke Medicine". corporate.dukemedicine.org. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- Williams, R. Sanders; Willard, Huntington F.; Snyderman, Ralph (2003-04-25). "Personalized Health Planning". Science. 300 (5619): 549. doi:10.1126/science.300.5619.549. PMID 12714710.
- Snyderman, Ralph; Langheier, Jason (2006-01-01). "Prospective health care: the second transformation of medicine". Genome Biology. 7 (2): 104. doi:10.1186/gb-2006-7-2-104. PMC 1431721. PMID 16522218.
- Snyderman, Ralph; Williams, R. Sanders (2003-11-01). "Prospective medicine: the next health care transformation". Academic Medicine. 78 (11): 1079–1084. doi:10.1097/00001888-200311000-00002. PMID 14604864.
- Snyderman R; Weil AT (2002-02-25). "Integrative medicine: Bringing medicine back to its roots". Archives of Internal Medicine. 162 (4): 395–397. doi:10.1001/archinte.162.4.395. PMID 11863470.
- R, Simmons LA, Drake CD, Gaudet TW, Snyderman. "Personalized Health Planning in Primary Care Settings : Federal Practitioner". www.fedprac.com. Retrieved 2016-06-29.
- "2012 David E. Rogers Award – AAMC Awards – Initiatives – AAMC". www.aamc.org. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "Ralph Snyderman, M.D." National Academy of Medicine. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Williams, L T; Snyderman, R; Pike, M C; Lefkowitz, R J (1977-03-01). "Specific receptor sites for chemotactic peptides on human polymorphonuclear leukocytes". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 74 (3): 1204–1208. Bibcode:1977PNAS...74.1204W. doi:10.1073/pnas.74.3.1204. PMC 430651. PMID 265563.
- Sbarra, Anthony J. (2013-11-11). Biochemistry and Metabolism. Springer Science & Business Media. ISBN 9781461591344.
- Shin, Hyun S.; Snyderman, Ralph; Friedman, Eileen; Mellors, Alice; Mayer, Manfred M. (1968-10-18). "Chemotactic and Anaphylatoxic Fragment Cleaved from the Fifth Component of Guinea Pig Complement". Science. 162 (3851): 361–363. Bibcode:1968Sci...162..361S. doi:10.1126/science.162.3851.361. PMID 4175690.
- Williams, L. T.; Snyderman, R.; Lefkowitz, R. J. (1976-01-01). "Identification of beta-adrenergic receptors in human lymphocytes by (-) (3H) alprenolol binding". The Journal of Clinical Investigation. 57 (1): 149–155. doi:10.1172/JCI108254. PMC 436634. PMID 1245597.
- Snyderman, Ralph; Phillips, Jean; Mergenhagen, Stephan E. (1970-06-01). "Polymorphonuclear Leukocyte Chemotactic Activity in Rabbit Serum and Guinea Pig Serum Treated with Immune Complexes: Evidence for C5a as the Major Chemotactic Factor". Infection and Immunity. 1 (6): 521–525. PMC 415936. PMID 16557770.
- Snyderman, R.; Goetzl, E. J. (1981-08-21). "Molecular and cellular mechanisms of leukocyte chemotaxis". Science. 213 (4510): 830–837. Bibcode:1981Sci...213..830S. doi:10.1126/science.6266014. PMID 6266014.
- pubmeddev. "Snyderman R – PubMed – NCBI". www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Congressional Record – 108th Congress (2003-2004) – THOMAS (Library of Congress)". thomas.loc.gov. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "The 2003 Bravewell Leadership Award – The Bravewell Collaborative". www.bravewell.org. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "PMC.com : Archive". www.personalizedmedicinecoalition.org. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Chancellor Emeritus of Duke University's School of Medicine and Chairman, Proventys, Inc., Receives 2008 National IRI Medal | IRI". www.iriweb.org. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Frost & Sullivan Recognizes Excellence in Healthcare Innovation". www.frost.com. Retrieved 2016-06-16.
- "NCABR Lauds 17 Life Science Leaders | North Carolina Biotech Center". www.ncbiotech.org. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "2011 DukeMed Alumni awards to Wilson, Cohen & Snyderman | medicine.duke.edu". medicine.duke.edu. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Snyderman to Get NC Life Science Award | North Carolina Biotech Center". www.ncbiotech.org. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- "Ralph Snyderman Bio". Personalized Medicine World Conference 2016. Retrieved 2016-06-16.