Location in Slovenia
|Coordinates: 45°48′52.1″N 14°18′44.39″E|
|Traditional region||Inner Carniola|
|Statistical region||Littoral–Inner Carniola|
|• Total||7.01 km2 (2.71 sq mi)|
|Elevation||547.5 m (1,796.3 ft)|
Rakek was attested in written sources in 1300 as Rachach and in 1498 as Rakeckh. The name is derived from the Rak River. The Italian name Recchio was coined in the 20th century.
In 1857 the Austrian Southern Railway line was built through the settlement and it became an important collection point for timber from surrounding forests. There is a monument to victims of World War II by the Slovene sculptor Jakob Savinšek in the main square in front of the railway station.
The parish church in the settlement is dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Ljubljana. It was built in the late 16th century and was extensively rebuilt and extended between 1935 and 1938, based partly on plans by Jože Plečnik.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- "Primorske novice: Jezikovne perverznosti." 1923. Slovenec 51 (108) (15 May): 3.
- Versari, Quinto. 1968. Sulle sponde del Cerniski. Milan: Gastaldi, p. 16.
- Snoj, Marko (2009). Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan. p. 346.
- Cerknica municipal site
- Družina RC Church in Slovenia Journal website