Rajiv L. Gupta
Rajiv L. Gupta (born December 23, 1945) is an Indian-American businessman, the current chairman of Delphi Automotive, and a former executive with Rohm and Haas, a manufacturer of speciality chemicals.
Gupta in 2011
Rajiv L. Gupta
December 23, 1945
|Occupation||Chairman, Delphi Automotive|
|Known for||Former chairman, CEO, and president of Rohm and Haas|
Gupta was born on December 23, 1945, in Muzaffarnagar, India, the son of Phool Prakash and Rukmini Sahai.
He graduated in 1967 with a degree in mechanical engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Bombay. Gupta continued his studies going on to earn an M.S. degree in Operations Research in 1969 from Cornell University, and his M.B.A. in Finance from the Bennett S. LeBow College of Business at Drexel University in 1972.
He is the former chairman, CEO, and president of Philadelphia-based Rohm and Haas. In 1971, Gupta joined Rohm and Haas as a financial analyst. Working his way up in the company, Gupta was elected to the board of directors and named vice chairman in January 1999 and later became chairman and chief executive officer in October 1999. He assumed the additional title of president in early 2005. He left Rohm and Haas after its $15.3 billion acquisition by Dow in 2009.
In April 2005, the US Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce named Gupta as one of the top ten most influential Asian Americans in business. In 2006, Gupta was named Drexel's 53rd Business Leader of the Year. Gupta has also served as the chairman for the American Chemistry Council and the Society of Chemical Industry, America Section.
In February 2015, he became the chairman of Delphi Automotive.
Gupta married Kamla Varshney in 1968, and they have two children. They live in Newtown Square, Pennsylvania. In 2018, Raj and Kamla Gupta made a gift to the Drexel University LeBow College of Business to establish the Raj & Kamla Gupta Governance Institute.
- "Rajiv L Gupta". Retrieved January 6, 2015.
- "Nooyi, Raj Gupta among top Asian Americans in business". Rediff. April 29, 2005. Retrieved January 14, 2008.
- "About Rohm and Haas: Governance and Leadership". Rohm and Haas. Archived from the original on December 17, 2007. Retrieved January 14, 2008.
- Paine, Tom (November 13, 2012). "Avantor, headed by ex-Rohm & Haas chief Gupta, sues IBM over troubled SAP implementation". Philly Tech News. Retrieved December 1, 2014.
- "Delphi Announces Board Changes". Delphi Automotive. February 5, 2015. Retrieved December 30, 2015.
- "Raj L Gupta". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved January 6, 2015.
- Gianakaris, Niki (April 17, 2018). "With a $5 Million Gift Drexel Establishes the Raj & Kamla Gupta Governance Institute". DexelNow. Retrieved April 17, 2018.