Rainbow S.r.l. (also called Rainbow S.p.A.) is an Italian television studio co-owned by Iginio Straffi and ViacomCBS. It is based in Loreto, Marche and was founded by Straffi in 1995. Rainbow began as an animation studio, providing creative services for larger companies until it secured enough funds for original productions. It is now best known for producing the animated Winx Club and Huntik: Secrets and Seekers television series, both created by Iginio Straffi. The studio has also produced live-action shows (Club 57), theatrical films (Gladiators of Rome), and original comics (Maya Fox).
|Television production company|
|Products||Television series, live-action and animated films|
|Owner||ViacomCBS Networks International EMEA (30%)|
Iginio Straffi (70%)
In February 2011, Viacom International Media Networks purchased 30% of the company for 62 million euros (US$83 million), leaving the remaining 70% to Iginio Straffi. Viacom's Nickelodeon networks broadcast Rainbow's shows worldwide. Nickelodeon's American studios have also collaborated with Rainbow on multiple productions, including Winx Club and Club 57.
In 2015, Rainbow purchased the animation studio Bardel Entertainment. In 2017, Rainbow acquired a majority stake in Iven S.p.A., which owns the production company Colorado Film.
In April 2018, Straffi and Viacom listed the company on the Italian stock exchange. The listing followed years of consideration regarding which country's stock market to enter (the United States or Italy). According to Straffi, this presented "a real dilemma" as Viacom was already listed on an American stock exchange, but Rainbow performed best in European countries. Straffi and Viacom withdrew Rainbow from the stock market in May 2018, citing a lack of suitable market conditions.
|Tommy and Oscar||1999-2002||Rai 1||Rai Fiction|
|Winx Club||2004-present||Rai 2
|Monster Allergy||2005-2009||Rai 2||Rai Fiction|
|Huntik: Secrets and Seekers||2009-2012||Rai 2||Rai Fiction|
Big Bocca Productions (season 1)
|Poppixie||2011||Rai 2||Rai Fiction|
|Mia and Me||2012-2016||Rai 2||Rai Fiction|
|Crazy Block (pilot)||2014||Unaired||Nickelodeon|
|Regal Academy||2016-2018||Rai YoYo||Rai Fiction|
|Maggie & Bianca: Fashion Friends||2016-2017||Rai Gulp||Rai Fiction|
Nickelodeon (pilot only)
|World of Winx||2016-2017||Netflix||Rai Fiction|
|44 Cats||2018-present||Rai YoYo||Rai Fiction|
|Club 57||2019-present||Rai Gulp||Rai Fiction|
|Tommy & Oscar: The Movie||2004||Rai Fiction||Miramax|
|Winx Club: The Secret of the Lost Kingdom||2007||01 Distribution
|Winx Club 3D: Magical Adventure||2010||Medusa Film
|Gladiators of Rome||2012||Medusa Film
|Winx Club: The Mystery of the Abyss||2014||01 Distribution
|Tiro Libero||2017||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|The Girl in the Fog||2017||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
|Puoi baciare lo sposo||2018||Medusa Film||Colorado Film|
- Vivarelli, Nick (February 26, 2011). "Winx creator in the pink". Variety. Retrieved August 9, 2015.
- "Straffi's Rainbow: Europe's Largest Animation House Has Growing Pains" (PDF). VideoAge International. October 2014.
- Serafini, Domenico (November 5, 2014). "I dolori di Rainbow per arrivare prima in Europa". Millecanali. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Minardi, Sabina (24 February 2011). "Winx, le fatine fanno il botto". L'espresso (in Italian).
- Ramos-Weiner, Maribel (20 November 2018). "Iginio Straffi de Rainbow: Tuvimos una influencia muy importante en la historia de Club 57 para garantizar su atractivo en Europa". Produ.com (in Spanish).
- Kidscreen » Archive » Rainbow buys Canadian animation studio Bardel
- Andrea, Montanari (21 August 2017). "Rainbow-Viacom compra la Colorado" (PDF). MF Milano Finanza.
- "Winx take to the stock exchange". Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata. 12 April 2018.
- "Rainbow ripensa alla Borsa". Bebeez.it (in Italian). 3 November 2015.
- "The Winx Withdraw from the Stock Market". 22 May 2018.
- "Nickelodeon Announces JAKKS Pacific as Master Toy Licensee for Innovative Girls Brand: Winx Club".
Winx Club is a co-production with Rainbow S.p.A. and Nickelodeon.
- "Crazy Block - Nick Animated Shorts". December 8, 2018.
- Magliaro, Alessandra (19 July 2015). "Rainbow, oltre Winx, 1/a serie con attori". Agenzia Nazionale Stampa Associata (in Italian).
- "Riprese della serie tv americana per ragazzi "Club 57" a Monopoli" (in Italian). 23 September 2018.