Raffles, the Amateur Cracksman (1925 film)
|Raffles, the Amateur Cracksman|
1925 theatrical poster
|Directed by||King Baggot|
|Produced by||Universal Jewel (production company)|
|Written by||Harvey F. Thew|
|Based on||The Amateur Cracksman by E. W. Hornung|
|Cinematography||Charles J. Stumar|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
|May 24, 1925|
|60 min. (6 reels)|
|Language||Silent with English intertitles|
Directed by King Baggot and produced by Carl Laemmle's Universal Pictures, the screenplay was adapted by Harvey F. Thew from the play by Eugene W. Presbrey and the 1899 short story collection, The Amateur Cracksman, by E.W. Hornung.
Raffles (played by House Peters) is an English gentleman with a secret life—he is the notorious jewel thief known as "The Amateur Cracksman." While sailing from India to England accompanied by his friend, Bunny Manners (played by Freeman Wood), it is rumored that the infamous cracksman is aboard ship. Raffles warns a lady passenger to keep an eye on her necklace, which is stolen soon afterward. Although a search reveals no evidence, the necklace is returned upon reaching London.
Lord Amersteth (played by Winter Hall) and his wife, Lady Amersteth (played by Kate Lester), are having a party at their home and Raffles attends. Another guest, noted criminologist Captain Bedford (played by Fred Esmelton), makes the assertion that a very valuable string of pearls cannot be stolen. Encouraged by this, Raffles steals it.
He has also stolen the heart of Gwendolyn Amersteth (played by Miss DuPont), the daughter of his hosts. Capt. Bedford finally captures him, but he escapes with Gwendolyn's help and they run away to be married. Raffles returns the pearls and promises to retire from being a burglar.
- House Peters as Raffles, the Amateur Cracksman
- Miss DuPont as Gwendolyn Amersteth
- Hedda Hopper as Mrs. Clarice Vidal
- Fred Esmelton as Capt. Bedford
- Walter Long as Crawshay
- Winter Hall as Lord Amersteth
- Kate Lester as Lady Amersteth
- Freeman Wood as Bunny Manners
- Roland Bottomley as Lord Crowley
- Lillian Langdon as Mrs. Tilliston
- Robert Bolder as Mr. Tilliston
- Raffles, the Amateur Cracksman on IMDb
- Raffles synopsis at AllMovie
- Raffles, the Amateur Cracksman at the AFI Catalog of Feature Films