Radu Malfatti is an Austrian trombone and bass harmonica player,and composer. He was born in Innsbruck, in the province of Tyrol, on December 16, 1943. Malfatti is associated with the style of music known as reductionism and has been described as "among the leaders in redefining the avant-garde as truly on-the-edge art." His work "since the early nineties... has been investigating the edges of ultraminimalism in both his composed and improvised work." He also operates B-Boim, a CD-R-only record label focusing on improvised and composed music, much of it his own.
Radu Malfatti during soundcheck before his first concert in Galicia, Spain, 2008
|Born||December 16, 1943|
|Associated acts||London Jazz Composer's Orchestra, Polwechsel|
- Balance (Incus, 1973)
- Zwecknagel (FMP, 1981)
- Dach with Phil Durrant and Thomas Lehn (Erstwhile, 2001)
- Whitenoise with Mattin (w.m.o/r, 2004)
- Goat vs Donkey with Taku Unami (Taumaturgia, 2009)
- Imaoto with Klaus Filip (Erstwhile, 2009)
- Ruten (B-boim, 2014)
With Steve Lacy
- Itinerary (hat ART, 1991)
- Armstrong, John (13 August 2015). "Radu Malfatti experienced in the flesh: A Review". Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Clark, Philip. "The playlist: experimental music". Guardian. Retrieved 8 February 2018.
- Orens, Geoff. "Radu Malfatti". AllMusic. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Pisaro, Michael. "Erstwhile Records". Erstwhile Records. Retrieved 5 July 2017.