Radikal ("Radical") was a daily liberal Turkish language newspaper, published in Istanbul. It has been published since 1996 by Aydın Doğan's Doğan Media Group. Despite only having a circulation of around 25,000 (July 2013), it was considered one of the most influential Turkish newspapers.
|Owner(s)||Doğan Media Group|
|Founded||13 October 1996|
|Ceased publication||25 March 2016|
|Circulation||25,330 (July 2013)|
Radikal did not endorse a particular political alignment but it was generally considered by the public as a social liberal newspaper. It was praised for its culture, arts, and interview sections, as well as columnists such as M. Serdar Kuzuloğlu, Hakkı Devrim, Yıldırım Türker, Türker Alkan, Tarhan Erdem, Cengiz Çandar, and Altan Öymen. Hasan Celal Güzel, former minister of national education, Murat Yetkin, and Mustafa Akyol, son of Taha Akyol, also write for Radikal.
Radikal was founded in 1996, and "within a decade ... had become one of the most influential newspapers in the country, especially renowned for its top-drawer columnists and its coverage of intellectual debates". Its circulation, however, remained relatively low.
In 2004 Radikal was awarded the Turk Democracy Associations "Democracy Media Award" (jointly with Zaman).
The Dogan Group's economics daily Referans was merged into Radikal in 2010, with Referans editor-in-chief Eyüp Can becoming editor-in-chief of the combined paper, replacing İsmet Berkan. Later in 2010 the paper moved to a tabloid format and introduced new columnists Dilek Kurban of TESEV, Cüneyt Özdemir, and Sırrı Süreyya Önder.
The newspaper stopped printing on 21 June 2014 and was published only digitally, before it was shut abruptly shut down in March 2016. On 4 April 2016, its columnists published their farewell articles on its webpage, reflecting on Radikal's past 20 years.
Radikal has the following sections, among others:
- Türkiye - usually with domestic news
- Yaşam (Life) - usually with health and entertainment articles from Turkey and the world
- Politika - with political news, focusing on domestic
- Dış Haberler - with foreign news
- Yorum - opinion pieces, editorials
- Ekonomi - economic news
- Spor - sports news
- Kültür/Sanat - with cultural and art news
The paper also publishes four supplements:
- Kitap (Book) - weekly book reviews, out on Fridays
- Cumartesi (Saturday) - usually with weekend entertainment and news, out on Saturdays
- Radikal 2 - op-eds, mostly on social-democracy or current political issues, out on Sundays
- Genç (Young) - op-eds submitted by college students, out every other Tuesday.
Radikal publishes an online edition with the printed articles, updated daily including "Sıcak Haber" (Hot News), a section of breaking news.
- İsmail Saymaz (investigative journalist)
- Ezgi Başaran (investigative reporter and website managing editor, awarded the Müşerref Hekimoğlu Award 2012)
- Ertuğrul Mavioğlu (news co-ordinator)
- Altan Öymen (columnist)
- Orhan Kemal Cengiz
- Cengiz Çandar (columnist)
- Cüneyt Özdemir (columnist)
- Ümit Kivanç (columnist)
- Yiğit Bulut (columnist, 2001-2007)
- Perihan Mağden (columnist, 2001-2008)
- Oral Çalışlar (columnist, 2008-2013)
- Sırrı Süreyya Önder (columnist, 2010-2011)
- medyatava.com, 01.07.2013 - 07.07.2013 Haftası Tiraj Tablosu, accessed 14 July 2013.
- "Radikal kapanıyor". Birgün. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Rafis Abazov (2009), Culture and Customs of Turkey, Greenwood Publishing Group, p. 77
- Today's Zaman, 11 February 2004, Zaman Shares 'Democracy Award' With Radikal Archived 2013-12-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Today's Zaman, 28 February 2004, Zaman Wins Democracy and Human Rights Award Archived 2013-12-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Hurriyet Daily News, 8 January 2007, Nobel winner Orhan Pamuk is editor-in-chief for a day at Radikal
- Radikal, 16 January 2007, Sanatçılar Sezen Aksu'nun Radikal'ini saklanacaklar arasına koydu bile! Archived 2013-12-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Hurriyet Daily News, 15 October 2010, Brave new approach by Turkish daily Radikal
- Today's Zaman, 18 October 2010, Radikal greets readers with new size, columnists Archived 2013-12-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Radikal, 13 June 2015
- "Yazarlar". Radikal. Retrieved 6 April 2016.
- International Press Institute, ipiworldcongress.com, IPI World Congress 2013 Archived 2013-07-17 at Archive.today
- Radikal official website (in Turkish)