Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka
Raaz Pichhle Janm Ka is an Indian reality television series based on the technique of past life regression. The NDTV Imagine show is hosted by actor Ravi Kishan, while the past life regression sessions are conducted by Mumbai-based psychologist Trupti Jayin. The first season started on 7 December 2009 and 15 January 2010, while Second season started on October 23, 2010, with actor, Chunky Pandey as guest.
|Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka|
|Presented by||Ravi Kishan|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||2|
|Running time||58 minutes|
|Original network||NDTV Imagine|
|Original release||7 December 2009 –|
29 January 2011
Participants include a mixture of invited celebrities and ordinary people selected through a phone-in process. Celebrity participants have included Shekhar Suman, Monica Bedi, Celina Jaitley, Payal Rohatgi and Manvendra Singh Gohil.
The show opens with the guest explaining a particular problem, usually a fear he or she is facing and wishes to find a solution or insight into. Thereafter they are taken through an extended past life regression session, edited for television.
The procedure as explained by show's therapist, Dr. Tripti Jayin, the patient are first taken into in a state of progressive relaxation, followed by an alpha-theta meditation through the visualisation of light and then supposedly 'taken back' into the past to know the reason for things that trouble them in this birth. Some of the events are dramatized as the participant narrates certain incidents, and in the end talks about the experience.
About past-life regression
It uses conscious meditative technique to recover memories of our past lives. It helps address fears, phobias and even physical ailments in our present day lives by finding their roots in our previous lives.
Many of the participants have supposedly recalled information from the past. The best example is that of Swati Singh (Episode-1 participant) who correctly recalled information about the 1966 Air India flight 101 crash incident (24 January 1966), in which she claimed that she was an Indian sailor named Singh, and in this flight the eminent Indian physicist Dr. Homi J. Bhabha had also died.
Views of medical-community
A number of clinical psychiatrists have said that such ‘memories’ of a past life may only be the projected imagination of an individual. However, some others believe that the concept needs further research. “I do not practice it but I do not agree that past-life regression should be dismissed altogether. I believe that this concept needs to be thoroughly researched,” says Dr Divay Mangla, a psychiatrist practising in Yamuna Nagar, India.
Some people and organizations have raised doubts over the credibility and reality of the show. Much of the past-life regression process is also not shown on television, so it can't be confirmed whether the process is real or not. No explanation has been given by NDTV Imagine in this regard.
Bharat Jan Vigyan Jathan, an independent Indian organisation, has got issued a statutory notice by the Punjab and Haryana High Court to NDTV Imagine TV Channel (a copy of which was also issued to the Information and Broadcasting Ministry of India) for allegedly spreading superstition through Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka. It also asked the channel for a public debate in the presence of experts and scientists and prove its credence scientifically.
The first series of Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka began on 7 December 2009 and ended on 15 January 2010. Episodes were aired on NDTV Imagine nightly from Monday to Friday at 9:30pm. It was originally planned to have 20 episodes but this was extended to 40. The season finale revisited the participants post their experience on the show and explored the impact the show had made on their lives.
- Mishal Raheja,saw himself as a king during the Moghul era who was backstabbed by his people and pushed from a cliff. Before the procedure he told that he was afraid of heights.
- Shekhar Suman, met his dead son
- Celina Jaitley, saw herself as a German soldier fighting and dying in action in World War 2 in her first past life regression and as a happily married woman from the US in her second past life regression.
- Payal Rohatgi, saw herself as a Boy in her previous birth who was betrayed by his lover.
- Monica Bedi, saw herself as a Portuguese woman, a self-sacrificing mother of three kids who watches helplessly as her ex-husband dies in a car accident.
- Manvendra Singh Gohil (Prince of Rajpipla and gay rights activist), saw himself as a poor farmer, and in a tragic accident while crossing a river, he lost his son. Manvendra's wife gets extremely disturbed at the loss of their son and this strongly affects their married life.
- Sambhavna Seth, saw herself as a Muslim woman, whose uncle had killed her after molesting her.
- Ravi Kishan (host of the show), saw himself as a ‘Naga Sadhu’ in Manali, Himachal Pradesh during the 1890s and tried to obtain moksha but failed; as certain circumstances that led him to commit not one, but three murders in his past life thereby altering his life forever.
- Eva Grover (Famous TV Star and ex-wife of actor Haider who happens to be Aamir Khan's step brother).
Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka (Season 2)
Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka (Season 2) started on October 23, 2010, with same host Ravi Kishen and clinical psychologist-analyst Dr. Trupti Jayin, in an initial run of 20-episode of once a week broadcast on Saturdays at 9.00 pm. The shooting started around August 1, 2010 at a studio in Trombay., and first guest was actor Chunky Pandey, other guests would include Mahima Chaudhary and Shakti Kapoor.
- "Raaz Pichhle Janam Ka is back". Hindustan Times. July 25, 2010. Archived from the original on November 23, 2010.
- "Want to know your past?". The Times of India. 4 December 2009.
- "Raaz Pichley Janam Ka to peep into celebs' past". India Today. November 25, 2009.
- "Want to know about past life?". Hindustan Times. November 21, 2009.
- "1966 Air India crash victim reborn desi kahani". The Times of India. 6 December 2010.
- "News". Samay Live. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Raaz Pichhle... creates stir but psychiatrists stay away: 'It has no scientific basis'". Archived from the original on May 10, 2012. Retrieved January 20, 2010.
- "Reasons To Believe That Raaz Pichle Janam Ka Is Fake". Informationmadness.com. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "HC pulls up I&B over NDTV Imagine's reality show". Archived from the original on February 28, 2010. Retrieved December 27, 2009.
- Archived January 15, 2010, at the Wayback Machine
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100125201246/http://www.tellychakkar.com/news/raaz-picchle-janam-ka-begin-shooting-its-second-season-soon. Archived from the original on January 25, 2010. Retrieved January 27, 2010. Missing or empty
- "'Raaz Pichle Janam Ka': I was a BOY! - TOI Blogs". Blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2015-12-24.
- "Meet Monica's ex-husband!". The Times of India. 14 December 2009.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100306014331/http://www.ndtvimagine.com/shows/index.php?id=143. Archived from the original on March 6, 2010. Retrieved December 26, 2009. Missing or empty
- "Raaz Pichle Janam Ka returns with more glamour". Indian Express. September 29, 2010.