RFA Ennerdale (A173)

RFA Ennerdale (A173) was a Dale-class fleet tanker and landing ship (gantry) of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary.

History
Name: RFA Ennerdale
Builder: Swan Hunter
Laid down: 1939
Launched: 1941
Commissioned: 11 July 1941
Decommissioned: March 1958
Fate: Sold for scrapping, broken up 1959
General characteristics
Class and type: Dale-class fleet tanker
Displacement: 16,782 long tons (17,051 t)
Length: 483 ft (147 m)
Beam: 59 ft 6 in (18.14 m)
Draught: 27 ft 6 in (8.38 m)
Propulsion: 1 × triple expansion steam engine, 1 shaft
Speed: 11.5 knots (13.2 mph; 21.3 km/h)
Complement: 44

Taken over by the Admiralty and completed as a Landing Ship Gantry carrying 15 LCMs with accommodation for 150 military personnel. Took part in the North African, Italian, and Far East landings.

In August 1943, Captain S.T. Dunster was awarded the OBE. The citation read:

"The ship [RFA Ennerdale] played a vital part in carrying oil and petrol to forces operating off the coast of North Africa and was the focus of sustained and heavy air attacks. So skilfully was she handled by her Master and so efficient was her barrage that she sustained no damage, and performed invaluable work. In addition to this service, her Master did well in two Malta Convoys earlier in the war. His courage and resource have been unfailing."

In December 1945 she was damaged by a mine at Port Swettenham and returned to UK for repair. After the war she resumed freighting duties as a tanker.

Ennerdale was sold to the British Iron & Steel Corporation for scrapping and broken up 1959-60.

References

    • Captain E.E. Sigwart (1969). Royal Fleet Auxiliary. Adlard Coles. ISBN 0-229-98581-5.
    • Adams/Smith (2005). The Royal Fleet Auxiliary. Chatham Publishing. ISBN 1861762593.
    • Houterman, Hans. "RFA Officers". Retrieved 29 August 2007.


    This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.