RFA Derwentdale (A114)
|Builder:||Harland and Wolff, Govan|
|Laid down:||14 November 1939|
|Launched:||12 April 1941|
|Completed:||30 August 1941|
|Commissioned:||30 August 1941|
|Decommissioned:||19 May 1959|
|Class and type:||Dale-class fleet tanker|
|Displacement:||16,782 tonnes full load|
|Length:||483 ft 4 in (147.32 m)|
|Beam:||59 ft 4 in (18.08 m)|
|Draught:||27 ft 6.5 in (8.39 m)|
|Propulsion:||Burmeister & Wain 8-cylinder diesels with a single shaft 6,800 hp (5,100 kW).|
|Speed:||11.5 knots (21.3 km/h)|
She was taken over by the Admiralty and completed as a Landing Ship Gantry carrying 15 LCMs with accommodation for 150 military personnel. She was present at the landings in Madagascar, North Africa, Sicily and Italy. She was damaged by bombing at Salerno and towed to the UK via Malta to be re-engined with engines from the Denbydale. She returned to service as a tanker in 1946, her extra accommodation was used for passengers whilst freighting oil on the Trinidad to UK run. She was decommissioned on 19 May 1959 and was laid up at Rosyth.
- McCluskie, Tom (2013). The Rise and Fall of Harland and Wolff. Stroud: The History Press. p. 148. ISBN 9780752488615.
Adams/Smith (2005). The Royal Fleet Auxiliary. Chatham Publishing. ISBN 978-1-86176-259-7.