The REWE Group is a German diversified retail and tourism co-operative group based in Cologne, Germany. The name REWE comes from Revisionsverband der Westkauf-Genossenschaften", meaning "Western Buying Co-operatives Auditing Association". The most important companies under the umbrella of the REWE Group operate under the REWE-Zentral AG and REWE-Zentralfinanz eG names. The basis of the co-operative trade group consists of a network of independent retailers. In the 2017 financial year, the REWE Group had total external sales of €57.8 billion. The REWE Group is the second largest supermarket chain in Germany behind EDEKA.
|Cooperative, Joint-stock company|
|Founded||1927 (current form 1972)|
|Lionel Souque, CEO|
Heinz-Bert Zander, Chairman
|Products||Department stores, Supermarkets, Convenience stores, Cash&Carry, Hypermarkets, Home improvement, etc.|
|491,400,000 euro (2017) |
|337,800,000 euro (2017) |
|Total assets||19,506,400,000 euro (31 December 2017) |
Number of employees
|329,418 + Severin (2013)|
- REWE – A supermarket chain in Germany with 3,300 stores.
- BILLA – A supermarket chain with more than 1,000 stores in Austria (is the market leader in the Austrian foodstuffs trade) and 400 stores in 8 other European countries.
- Penny – A discount supermarket chain with 3,000 stores in Germany, Austria, Italy, Romania, Hungary, Czech Republic .
- XXL Mega Discount – A discount hypermarket chain in Romania.
- nahkauf – A convenience store operator in Germany.
- toom BauMarkt – A DIY/home improvement chain with 250 stores located in Germany.
- MERKUR – A supermarket chain with 100 stores in Austria.
- Standa – A supermarket chain with 158 stores in Italy (sold to Carrefour).
- BIPA – A health and beauty retail chain with 560 stores in Austria and 58 stores in Croatia.
- Kaufpark – A supermarket chain with 120 stores in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Furr's Grocery Stores – A supermarket chain in Texas and New Mexico, U.S., owned by REWE from 1979 to 1990.
- Palink – A supermarket chain in Lithuania.
DER Touristik is the tourism division of Rewe Group:
- Tour operator brands: ITS, Jahn Reisen, Tjaereborg, Dertour, Meier’s Weltreisen and ADAC Reisen and clevertours.com
- Hotel brands: lti Hotels, Club Calimera and PrimaSol Hotels
In June 2015, it signed an agreement with Kuoni Travel that will pass on control over their European tour operations over to DER. The deal is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2015.
Country ranking in 2006
|Country||No. of Stores||Sales (million euros)|
- *Sales of retail activities
In 2013, the REWE Group founded a subsidiary named REWE Digital, which is responsible for all strategic online activities. The group also acquired the ecommerce platform vendor commercetools and Zooroyal, a commerce website for animal food and pet supplies.
Cassis de Dijon
- ADAC Reisen – Specialist for mobile holidays
- Gretler, Corinne. "Kuoni Sells European Tour Operating Business to Rewe Group", Bloomberg Business, 22 June 2015. Accessed 7 July 2015.
- "REWE digital - Provider of online solutions in markets relevant to REWE Group". Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- "REWE Digital acquires e-commerce software provider commercetools GmbH". March 31, 2015. Retrieved 2019-08-29.
- "ZooRoyal - der Onlineshop für Ihr Haustier". Retrieved August 29, 2019.