RAF Westley

RAF Westley was an airfield (known as Westley) that existed to the west of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England, between 1938 and 1946. The airfield was established as a home for the West Suffolk Aero Club in 1938, before being taken over by the RAF Volunteer Reserve.

RAF Westley
Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk in England
RAF Westley
Shown within Suffolk
Coordinates52°14′52″N 000°40′40″E
TypeRoyal Air Force airfield
Site information
OwnerAir Ministry
OperatorRoyal Air Force
Site history
Built1938 (1938)
In use1938-1946 (1946)
Airfield information
Elevation60 metres (197 ft) AMSL
Runways
Direction Length and surface
00/00  Grass

History

In 1942 No. 652 AOP Squadron moved in to provide training, using de Havilland Tiger Moths and Taylorcraft Austers. This continued until 1943.[1]

Current use

By 1946 the airfield closed and is now the site of the Westley suburb of Bury St Edmunds.

References

Citations

  1. Jefford 1988, p. 102.

Bibliography

  • Jefford, C G (1988). RAF Squadrons. A comprehensive record of the movement and equipment of all RAF squadrons and their antecedents since 1912. Shrewsbury: Airlife. ISBN 1-85310-053-6.


This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.