Queen Mary Road
Queen Mary Road crosses the borough of Côte-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace and the town of Hampstead and is located on the northwest flank of Mount Royal. The road was named in 1910 in honour of Mary of Teck, who became Queen consort on May 6, 1910, when her husband George V became King of the United Kingdom.
Saint Joseph's Oratory is located on Queen Mary Road.
The urbanization of the territory started in 1925 with the connection of different tram lines. The development of public transportation encouraged the construction of numerous tenements along major thoroughfares such as Queen Mary Road, which was then the Snowdon Junction terminus.
In 1981, the Snowdon metro station opened near the site of the old tram terminus. This station is an important transit crossroad because it serves two Metro lines, the Orange Line and the Blue Line, in addition to many buses. Today, Queen Mary Road is still a main focus of the neighbourhood.
Proposed name change
In fall 2010, in the wake of the canonization of Brother André, some politicians and journalists suggested that Queen Mary Road be renamed Frère-André Road.
- Site web de la Ville de Montréal : Grand répertoire du patrimoine bâti de Montréal
- "Snowdon". Société de transport de Montréal. Retrieved 2018-09-24.
- Site web du Journal de Montréal, octobre 2010
- Ville de Montréal. Les rues de Montréal. Répertoire historique. Montréal, Édition Méridien, 1995.