The Qing River Headwaters originate at Tenglong Cave (Teng Long Dong) near Lichuan City, in Hubei's southwestern corner. The river is 423 kilometres (263 mi) long. Its drainage area is 17,000 square kilometres (4,200,000 acres) 17,000 km², occupying large portions of the Enshi Tujia and Miao Autonomous Prefecture and Yichang Prefecture-level city. The Qing River (Qing Jiang) confluence with the Yangtze River (Chang Jiang) is at the ancient city of Yidu in the Yichang Prefecture of Hubei.
The Qing River has three large dams on it: the Geheyan Dam, Gaobazhou Dam, and Shuibuya Dam. The Geheyan Dam has a ship lift that can lift vessels of up to 300 tons displacement, to allow water transport upriver from the dam. During the 1998 Yangtze River floods the dam effectively held back the Qing River (Qing Jiang) flow.
There is also the Dongping Dam on the Zhongjiang River (忠建河), the main right tributary of the Qing River.
"Qing River Gallery"
The "Qing River Gallery" (清江画廊, Qingjiang Hualang) is a Hubei Provincial Scenic Area that includes a series of scenic sites along the course of the Qing River upstream from the Geheyan Dam up to the Shuibuya Salt Springs.
- Qing Jiang Bridge Archived October 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- , "More Dams Planned for Yangtze Despite Problems". Three Gorges Probe. 2000-06-19. Archived from the original on 2009-10-14.
- "China to Build New Hydropower Project on Qingjiang River". People's Daily. 2000-01-16. Archived from the original on 2009-10-14.
- Yi Fan (May 2003). "Qingjiang River Developer". China Today. Archived from the original on 2009-10-14.
- "Hubei's Yichang –Pearl of the Three Gorges". China Today. 2005. Archived from the original on 2009-10-14.
- 湖北宣恩洞坪水电有限责任公司 (Hubei Dongping Hydroelectric Company Ltd.)
"Houses collapse after landslides". China Daily. 2007-05-14. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
"More than eight million cubic meters of mud and rock have slid. With the stored water in the reservoir rises to about 310 meters, we expected more than 26 million cubic meters of mud-rock flow in the next a few days." said Tian.