Pyli (Greek: Πύλη meaning "gate", before 1927: Δερβενοσάλεσι - Dervenosalesi) is a village and a community in Boeotia, Greece. Its population in 2011 was 652 for the village and 745 for the community, which includes the villages Lefka, Panakto and Prasino. It was the seat of the former municipality of Dervenochoria. The site of the ancient Attic fortress of Panactum is between the villages of Panakto and Prasino (formerly Kavasala).
|Coordinates: 38°13′N 23°30′E|
|Administrative region||Central Greece|
|• Population||745 (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+3 (EEST)|
|Year||Village population||Community population|
Pyli is situated at the eastern edge of the Pastra mountain. It is in a sparsely populated area, dominated by agriculture and forestry. It is 5 km west of Skourta, 19 km north of Elefsina and 20 km southeast of Thebes. The Zoodochos Pigi Church, remnant of a medieval monastery, lies 5 km to the west.
- "Απογραφή Πληθυσμού - Κατοικιών 2011. ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Πληθυσμός" (in Greek). Hellenic Statistical Authority.
- Name changes of settlements in Greece
- Lund University. Digital Atlas of the Roman Empire.
- Richard Talbert, ed. (2000). Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World. Princeton University Press. p. 59, and directory notes accompanying.
This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.