It is located in the Southern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 2,182 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,237.75 square kilometres (477.90 sq mi) of which 443.17 km2 (171.11 sq mi) is water. The population density is 2.75 inhabitants per square kilometre (7.1/sq mi).
Coat of arms
Location of Puumala in Finland
|Coordinates: 61°31.5′N 028°11′E|
|• Municipal manager||Matias Hildén|
|• Total||1,237.75 km2 (477.90 sq mi)|
|• Land||794.53 km2 (306.77 sq mi)|
|• Water||443.17 km2 (171.11 sq mi)|
|Area rank||102nd largest in Finland|
|• Rank||259th largest in Finland|
|• Density||2.75/km2 (7.1/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.9% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||9.8%|
|• 15 to 64||61.6%|
|• 65 or older||28.6%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||21%|
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Until the year 1995 a cable ferry connected the two sides of Puumalansalmi-strait. In 1995, a 781-metre-long (2,562 ft) bridge replaced the ferry. The bridge is a very dominant structure when looking Puumala town center from a distance.
Puumala has relatively good services compared to the amount of population. In the town center is situated a post office, an Alko store, a kiosk, several supermarkets and a few restaurants. The reason for the survival of these entrepreneurs is the arrival of summer inhabitants who triple the population of Puumala during the season.
In history it is remembered for being the site of a staged attack on Swedish soldiers, by men wearing Russian military uniforms, but not actually serving in the Imperial Russian Army, on 27 June 1788. This would allow Gustav III to declare a defensive war against the Russian Empire.
The Puumala virus is named after this place as it was first isolated from samples from the Puumala area.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2012" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Archived from the original on 3 October 2013. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Municipality of Puumala – Official website