PublicAffairs proudly publishes books by today's top journalists, historians, and policymakers, in the fields of current affairs, politics, history, and biography.
|Parent company||Perseus Books Group|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||New York, New York|
PublicAffairs was launched in 1997 by Peter Osnos, and has published over 200 books since then. The company publishes mostly non-mainstream non-fiction books about politics and current affairs, both American and international. On its 10th anniversary PublicAffairs arranged a panel discussion with several authors of books published by them, including James Wolfensohn, former president of the World Bank, and George Soros.
In late 2007 PublicAffairs was involved in a controversy about a statement purportedly made by Scott McClellan, former White House Press Secretary (2003–2006) for President George W. Bush, and author of a book about to be published by PublicAffairs.
In June 2012 PublicAffairs published the nonfiction Island Practice by New York Times science writer Pam Belluck. Island Practice was optioned in July 2012 by Imagine Entertainment to develop a TV series for 20th Century Fox Television.
Perseus Books won Publishers Weekly's "Publisher of the Year" award for 2007.
Perseus Books Group is owned by Perseus Funds Group (holding company Perseus LLC), a capital management firm that grew from about $20 million in 1995 to over $2 billion now. Large infusions of cash helped it grow exponentially, and it reportedly closed investment funds to new investors almost as fast as it opened them. The board has many prominent former Clinton and Carter Administration officials.
- "PublicAffairs Books: Also available". PublicAffairs. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Social Entrepreneurs". C-SPAN. June 2, 2007. Retrieved April 26, 2015.
- Hoyt, Clark (December 9, 2007). "If It's Fit to Blog, Is It Fit to Print?". New York Times. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- Kilday, Gregg (January 4, 2008). "Iraq documentary generates book and Oscar hopes". Reuters. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Island Practice by Pam Belluck".
- Variety http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118056687. Missing or empty
- Millot, Jim (December 3, 2007). "Publisher of the Year". Publishers Weekly. Publishers Weekly. Archived from the original on January 6, 2008. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- Company web site
- A film clip "The Open Mind - "The problem with books" (2007)" is available at the Internet Archive
- Panel discussion on the 20th anniversary of PublicAffairs Books, April 17, 2018, C-SPAN