Prussian T 14
The Prussian T 14s were German, 2-8-2T, goods train, tank locomotives operated by the Prussian state railways and the Imperial Railways in Alsace-Lorraine. They were later incorporated by the Deutsche Reichsbahn into their renumbering plan as Class 93.0–4.
|T 14 (Prussia, Alsace-Lorraine)|
DRG Class 93.0–4
DR Class 93.8, ÖBB Class 693,
SNCB/NMBS Type 97
DR 93 230 in Potsdam (1993)
|Number(s)||DRG 93 001–459|
|Year(s) of manufacture||1914–1918|
|Axle arrangement||1′D1′ t|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Length over buffers||13,800 mm (45 ft 3 1⁄4 in)|
|Service weight||97.6 tonnes (96.1 long tons; 107.6 short tons)|
|Adhesive weight||63.4 tonnes (62.4 long tons; 69.9 short tons)|
|Axle load||16.9 tonnes (16.6 long tons; 18.6 short tons)|
|Top speed||65 km/h (40 mph)|
|Indicated Power||734 kW (998 PS; 984 hp)|
|Driving wheel diameter||1,350 mm (4 ft 5 1⁄8 in)|
|Leading wheel diameter||1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)|
|Trailing wheel diameter||1,000 mm (3 ft 3 3⁄8 in)|
|Cylinder bore||600 mm (23 5⁄8 in)|
|Piston stroke||660 mm (26 in)|
|Boiler Overpressure||12 bar (1.20 MPa; 174 psi)|
|Grate area||2.49 m2 (26.8 sq ft)|
|Superheater area||50.28 m2 (541.2 sq ft)|
|Evaporative heating area||126.62 m2 (1,362.9 sq ft)|
These locomotives were intended for goods traffic and Sunday excursion services on the lines of the Berlin Stadtbahn. Later the T 14 was also procured by other railway divisions for goods trains on main lines and even for passenger services. In all, 457 of this class was built for the Prussian state railways and 40 for the Imperial Railways in Alsace-Lorraine between 1914 and 1918.
The Deutsche Reichsbahn took over 400 T 14s from Prussia and six from the Imperial Railways in Alsace-Lorraine as 93 001–406. The T 14s from Alsace-Lorraine were given numbers 93 094, 188–191 and 237. In 1927 two more T 14s were acquired from the Farge-Vegesack Railway and numbered as 93 407 and 408; and in 1935 locomotives 93 409–417 from the Saar Railway were added. In World War II several T 14s came from Poland and Belgium into the DRB fleet as 93 418 - 450. After the Second World War the Deutsche Reichsbahn (GDR) incorporated further T 14s, which came from France and Belgium, as 93 451–459.
The Deutsche Bundesbahn began retiring them in 1960. In the East German Deutsche Reichsbahn the last ones were even given new computerised numbers in 1970 and classified as DR Class 93.8. The last T 14 there retired in 1971.
After the Second World War locomotives 93 058, 324 and 405 were left in Austria. As a result, the Austrian Federal Railway (ÖBB) formed them into their ÖBB Class 693 retaining their serial numbers. Number 693.058 was retired as early as 1953, the other two engines remained in the ÖBB fleet until 1958.
- Moll, Gerhard; Wenzel, Hansjürgen (1999). Die Baureihe 93 - Die preußischen Tenderlokomotiven der Gattungen T 14 und T 14.1. Freiburg: EK-Verlag. ISBN 3-88255-193-3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prussian T 14.|