|Comune di Priverno|
View of the Fossanova Abbey mapx=41.44
Coat of arms
Location of Priverno in Italy
|Coordinates: 41°28′N 13°11′E|
|Frazioni||Boschetto, Casale, Case Alloggio Ferrovieri, Ceriara, Colle Rotondo, Colle San Pietro, Colle Sughereto, Fascia, Fornillo, Fossanova, Gricilli, Le Crete, Maccalè, Mezzagosto, Montalcide, Osteria dei Pignatari, Perazzette, Pruneto, San Martino, Stazione Fossanova, Stradone Grotte|
|• Mayor||Anna Maria Bilancia|
|• Total||56.98 km2 (22.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||151 m (495 ft)|
|• Density||250/km2 (660/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Privernati or Pipernesi|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Thomas Aquinas|
|Saint day||March 7|
Privernum is described by Livy as a flourishing Volscian site, which was conquered and destroyed by the Romans in the late 4th century BC. The Appian Way passed nearby. The town recovered under the Roman rule, but disappeared after the fall of the Western Roman Empire, probably destroyed by Saracen attacks.
In 760 was established the Diocese of Priverno alias Piperno.
From 1217.01.17 it was held in personal union (aeque principaliter) with the Terracina until 1986.09.30, when it was suppressed and both (as well as Sezze) had their title and territory merged into the Diocese of Latina–Terracina–Sezze–Priverno.
Its Marian former cathedral remains a Co-Cathedral: Concattedrale di S. Maria (Assunta), in Priverno.
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Priverno.|
Notable churches :
- Santa Maria Assunta (former Cathedral), consecrated by Pope Lucius II in 1183. It houses a panel of the Madonna d'Agosto and St. Thomas's skull.
- San Benedetto, built by the Benedictines from the 7th century AD; it includes 13th and 16th centuries frescoes
- San Giovanni Evangelista (c. 9th century, rebuilt in the 13th century). It has 13th-15th century frescoes, including stories of St. Catherine (14th century), a Madonna with Child (15th century)
- San Tommaso d'Aquino (13th century)
- San Nicola' (13th century)
Lay buildings include the Villa Gallio, a residence of Cardinal Bartolomeo Gallio, the Communal Palace (13th century), with the Dolphin Fountain by Giuseppe Olivieri and the Porta San Marco and Porta Posterola, the only remains of the seven gates once giving access to Priverno. Remains of the old Privernum are outside the town, including parts of the walls, baths, three patrician houses and a temple. Here a colossal statue of Tiberius (now in the Vatican Museum) was found in the late 18th century.
Sources and external links
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.