Private Worlds is a 1935 drama film which tells the story of the staff and patients at a mental hospital, and the chief of the hospital who has problems dealing with a female psychiatrist. The film stars Claudette Colbert, Charles Boyer, Joel McCrea, Joan Bennett, and Helen Vinson.
|Directed by||Gregory La Cava|
|Produced by||Walter Wanger|
|Written by||Gregory La Cava|
Phyllis Bottome (story)
|Music by||Heinz Roemheld (uncredited)|
|Edited by||Aubrey Scotto|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress (Claudette Colbert).
The film tells the story of problems in the lives of doctors and patients. A female doctor (Colbert) probes the twisted minds of her patients in a mental institution. The very caring psychiatrist and her colleague face discrimination by a conservative new supervisor.
- Claudette Colbert as Dr. Jane Everest
- Charles Boyer as Dr. Charles Monet
- Joan Bennett as Sally MacGregor
- Helen Vinson as Claire Monet
- Joel McCrea as Dr. Alex MacGregor
- Jean Rouverol as Carrie Flint
- Esther Dale as Matron
- Guinn 'Big Boy' Williams as Jerry
- Dora Clement as Bertha Hirst
- Sam Godfrey as Tom Hirst
- Samuel S. Hinds as Dr. Arnold
- Theodore von Eltz as Dr. Harding
- Stanley Andrews as Dr. Barnes
- Matthew Bernstein, Walter Wagner: Hollywood Independent, Minnesota Press, 2000 p435