Principal secretary (India)
Principal secretary is a post and a rank in state governments of India. The position holder is generally an IAS officer and a government official of high seniority. Principal secretary ranked officers generally are the administrative heads of departments in a state government. The post is equivalent to that of an additional secretary to the Government of India. They can also be deputed to Government of India in the rank and post of a joint secretary to the Government of India, because of seniority.
Principal secretary in a state government
In the state governments, a principal secretary ranks above a secretary but it is below the designations of additional chief secretary and chief secretary. Principal Secretaries act as administrative heads of the department they are assigned to.
Principal secretary to the prime minister
The post of Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister of India was created during the tenure of Indira Gandhi as prime minister. The Principal Secretary to PM is the head of the Prime Minister's Office. He/she holds the rank and status of Cabinet Secretary/principal secretary to the Government of India. Additionally, some prime ministers also appoint an additional principal secretary, who too holds the rank and status of Cabinet Secretary/principal secretary to the Government of India.
In Jammu and Kashmir High Court there is a unique creation of Principal Secretary to the Chief Justice, he is of a senior district and sessions judge rank. He attends matters pertaining to the employees of subordinate judiciary such as appointments, transfers, promotions and leave. He is also ex officio secretary of Public Interest Litigation Cell. He also attends all other matters assigned by the chief justice. He is overall in charge of chief justice's secretariat.
- "Three more IAS officers from state posted as joint secretaries in Modi govt". The Indian Express. April 2, 2015. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- "Yogi Adiyanath seeks former Gorakhpur DM as Principal Secretary". The Indian Express. March 23, 2017. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- "Awanish Kumar Awasthi appointed Principal Secretary to UP CM". The Indian Express. April 11, 2017. Retrieved October 3, 2017.
- Mehta, Dalpat Singh (1968). Handbook Of Public Relations In India. New Delhi: Allied Publishers. p. 135. ISBN 978-8170233343.
- "Nripendra Mishra - Executive Record Sheet". Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India. Retrieved August 8, 2018.
- "Dr. Pramod Kumar Misra - Executive Record Sheet". Department of Personnel and Training, Government of India. Retrieved August 14, 2017.
- Joint secretary in Government of India is the administrative head of a wing in a department whereas the equivalent position of an administrative head in a state government is a Principal Secretary.
- PM Officers PMO official website.