Princess Marianne of Prussia
Princess Marianne of Prussia (German: Prinzessin Marianne Cecilie Auguste Friederike Wilhelmine Elisabeth Johanna von Preußen; 23 August 1913 – 1 March 1983) was a member of the House of Hohenzollern, daughter of Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia.
Marianne was born at Kamieniec Palace in Kamenz, Kingdom of Prussia, (now Kamieniec Ząbkowicki, Poland) third daughter of Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia (1880–1925), (son of Prince Albert of Prussia and Princess Marie of Saxe-Altenburg) and his wife, Princess Agatha of Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst (1888–1960) (daughter of Victor II, Duke of Ratibor and Countess Maria Breunner-Enkevoirth). She was a descendant of King Frederick William III of Prussia and King William I of the Netherlands. She was named after her great-grandmother Princess Marianne of the Netherlands. She was a third cousin of William, German Crown Prince.
Marianne married 30 January 1933 at Tabarz to Prince Wilhelm of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (1905–1942), son of Chlodwig, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld, and his wife, Princess Caroline of Solms-Hohensolms-Lich.
They had three children:
- Wilhelm, Landgrave of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (born 14 August 1933), married in 1961 to Oda-Mathilde von Garmissen, had issue.
- Prince Hermann of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (born 21 August 1935), married in 1962 to Countess Monika Strachwitz of Gross-Zauche and Camminetz, had issue.
- Princess Johanna of Hesse-Philippsthal-Barchfeld (born 22 November 1937), married in 1957 to Alfons Kuhn, had issue, divorced in 1961; Married secondly in 1963 to Bruno Riek, had issue.
Notes and sources
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Marianne, Prinzessin von Preussen
- thePeerage.com - Marianne Prinzessin von Preußen
- L'Allemagne dynastique, Huberty, Giraud, Magdelaine, Reference: vol V page 254
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: page 299.