Princess Margaret Hospital for Children
Princess Margaret Hospital for Children (PMH) was a centre for paediatric research and care. The hospital site is located on Roberts Road in Subiaco, Western Australia. It was the state's only specialist children's hospital until it closed in 2018 coinciding with the opening of the new Perth Children's Hospital that was built to replace it. Together with the Child and Adolescent Community Health Division it made up the Child and Adolescent Health Service.
|Princess Margaret Hospital for Children|
Hospital from corner of Hay and Thomas Streets
|Location||Subiaco, Western Australia, Australia|
|Care system||Public Medicare (AU)|
|Closed||10 June 2018|
|Lists||Hospitals in Australia|
PMH originated as the Perth Children's Hospital in 1909 after 12 years of community fundraising. The original facilities included 40 beds, an operating theatre and outpatient department. The current name, Princess Margaret Hospital for Children, was adopted in 1949, in honour of Princess Margaret, sister of Queen Elizabeth II.
In 1994 the organisational structure for the Princess Margaret Hospital for Children and King Edward Memorial Hospital's merged (but not their locations). In 2002 that organisation was renamed Women's and Children's Health Service. In 2006, the two hospitals were once again separated.
In 2008, the state government announced that a new children's hospital would be built to replace Princess Margaret Hospital for Children. Following the completion of the new Perth Children's Hospital in May 2018, and the opening of its emergency department, Princess Margaret Hospital closed its doors on 10 June 2018, and all patients were transferred to the new hospital.
- "Princess Margaret Hospital for Children". Western Australian Department of Health. 19 February 2007. Retrieved 23 October 2008.
- "Family Handbook" (PDF). Child and Adolescent Health Service. April 2008. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 July 2008. Retrieved 23 October 2008.
- "Women and children to benefit from health service realignment". Department of Health – Government of Western Australia. 30 May 2006. Retrieved 23 October 2008.
- Tricia Scolaro and Helen Archer (14 October 2003). "A One-Stop Shop for Information for the Women's and Children's Health Service". Australian Library and Information Association. Archived from the original on 26 July 2008. Retrieved 23 October 2008.
- "New Children's Hospital Project". Department of Health, Government of Western Australia. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- End of an era for Princess Margaret Hospital
- "Princess Margaret Hospital shuts doors as sick kids move to Perth Children's Hospital". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 10 June 2018. Retrieved 10 June 2018.