Princess Herzeleide of Prussia
Princess Herzeleide-Ina-Marie Sophie Charlotte Else of Prussia (25 December 1918 – 22 March 1989) was a member of the deposed House of Hohenzollern. She was the only daughter of Prince Oskar of Prussia (the second youngest son of Emperor Wilhelm II) and his initially morganatic wife, Countess Ina Marie von Bassewitz. She is the mother of Ernst-Johann Biron, Prince of Courland, the current head of the House of Biron.
Family and early life
Countess Herzeleide-Ina-Marie von Ruppin was born on Christmas Day 1918, shortly after the defeat of the German Empire and the collapse of the monarchy. She was consequently given the name Herzeleide, meaning "heart's sorrow". She had three brothers: Oscar, Burchard, and Wilhelm-Karl. Herzeleide and her brothers became Princess/Prince of Prussia on 21 June 1920 when their parents' morganatic marriage was recognised as dynastic by the deposed Emperor Wilhelm II.
Marriage and issue
On 15 August 1938 in Potsdam Garrison Church, Herzeleide married Karl Biron, Prince von Courland (born 15 June 1907). Karl was the eldest son and heir of Prince Gustav Biron of Courland, descendants of the Biron family that obtained sovereignty of the Baltic Duchy of Courland and Semigallia by marriage in the 18th century. Along with the bride and groom's parents, in attendance were former German Crown Prince Wilhelm and Emperor Wilhelm's consort, Empress Hermine. All male guests wore uniforms of the former German army. The couple's honeymoon plans included a visit to Doorn to pay respects to Emperor Wilhelm in exile, the bride's paternal grandfather. Subsequently they took up residence in Munich.
- Princess Viktoria-Benigna Ina-Marie Cecilie Friederike-Luise Helene Biron von Courland (b. 2 July 1939) married Johannes, Baron von Twickel on 3 May 1968, and had issue:
- Nikolaus Maximilian Ludwig Karl Ernst-Johann Maria von Twickel (Nikolaus, Baron von Twickel)
- Tassilo Heinrich Alexander von Twickel (Tassilo, Baron von Twickel)
- Ernst-Johann, Prince Biron von Courland (b. 6 August 1940) married to Countess Elisabeth Victoria Raimon zu Ysenburg-Büdingen, and has issue.
- Prince Michael Karl August Wilhelm Biron von Courland (b. 20 January 1944) married to Kristin von Oertzen on 1 July 1969, and has issue:
- Princess Veronika Biron von Courland (b. 23 Jan 1970)
- Prince Alexander Biron von Courland (b. 18 Sep 1972)
- Princess Stephanie Biron von Courland (b. 24 Sep 1975)
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 25 December 1918 – 21 June 1920: Countess Herzeleide von Ruppin
- 21 June 1920 – 15 August 1938: Her Royal Highness Princess Herzeleide of Prussia
- 15 August 1938 – 1982: Her Royal Highness Herzeleide, Princess Biron von Courland
- 1982 - 22 March 1989: Her Royal Highness Herzeleide, Dowager Princess Biron von Courland
|Ancestors of Princess Herzeleide of Prussia|
- Lundy, Darryl. "The Peerage: Herzeleide-Ina-Marie Sophie Charlotte Else Prinzessin von Preußen". Retrieved 6 January 2010.
- "Princess Herzeleide Married in Potsdam; Granddaughter of Ex-Kaiser Wed to Prince de Courland", The New York Times, Potsdam, Germany, 17 August 1938
- "Greek Royal Family", The Irish Times, 10 January 1938
- "Court & Personal; Wedding of Ex-Kaiser's Granddaughter", The Manchester Guardian, 17 August 1938
- Montgomery-Massingberd, Hugh (editor). Burke's Guide to the Royal Family, Burke's Peerage, London, 1973, pp. 300, 302. ISBN 0-220-66222-3
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Princess Herzeleide of Prussia.|