|Role||Military advanced trainer|
Design and development
Designed in response to a Defence Ministry competition and based on the BH-39, it was a conventional biplane design with unstaggered two-bay wings of equal span. The pilot and instructor sat in open cockpits in tandem, and the fixed tailskid undercarriage featured divided main units. The powerplant had been specified by the government to be the Hispano-Suiza 8Fb which were then being manufactured under licence by Škoda.
The E-41 was selected as the winner of the competition, and a contract for 43 aircraft was signed. Praga also produced a version powered by a ZOD 260 radial diesel engine, designated the E-141. This was not a success and only a single prototype was built. In 1936, a BH-41 was fitted with a Walter Pollux II engine, and designated the E-241. Following successful trials, an order was placed for a second batch of aircraft, this time for 95 machines with this engine.
These aircraft continued in Czechoslovakian service into the Second World War, when around 30 E-241s saw service with the Slovak Air Force in its campaigns against Hungary and the Soviet Union.
Data from Němeček 1968
- Crew: Two, pilot and instructor
- Length: 8.30 m (27 ft 3 in)
- Wingspan: 11.15 m (36 ft 7 in)
- Height: 3.05 m (10 ft 0 in)
- Wing area: 28.6 m2 (308 ft2)
- Empty weight: 1,185 kg (2,607 lb)
- Gross weight: 1,570 kg (3,454 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × Walter Pollux II, 270 kW (360 hp)
- Maximum speed: 230 km/h (140 mph)
- Range: 750 km (465 miles)
- Service ceiling: 5,700 m (18,700 ft)
- Rate of climb: to 3,000 m (9,843 ft) 4.5 m/s (890 ft/min)
- Taylor 1989, p.751
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft p.2777
- Grey 1972, p. 95c
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft. London: Aerospace Publishing.
- Grey, C.G. (1972). Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1938. London: David & Charles. ISBN 0-7153-5734-4.
- Němeček, Václav (1968). Československá letadla. Prague: Naše Vojsko.
- Taylor, Michael J. H. (1989). Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation. London: Studio Editions.