Town square with the town hall
Coat of arms
Location in the Czech Republic
|Coordinates: 49°0′47″N 13°59′51″E|
|• Mayor||Martin Malý|
|• Total||38.90 km2 (15.02 sq mi)|
|Elevation||561 m (1,841 ft)|
|• Density||280/km2 (720/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The town of Prachatice has its origins in the 11th century, following the beginning of trade on the Golden Path (an important salt trade route beginning in Passau, Bavaria). The property on which the town now stands was initially part of the domain of Vyšehrad and first came to prominence when the domain's provost purchased the right to impose a toll on traffic on the Golden Path. The settlement later grew in importance when, in the 13th century, it was granted the right to store the salt that was traded on the Golden Path. This privilege made Prachatice the only town in Southern Bohemia that could buy the salt that was sent out of Passau.
During the Hussite Wars of the 15th century, Prachatice was attacked twice and eventually conquered by the Hussites who killed most of the population of the town. After the end of the conflict, in 1436, Prachatice was granted the status of royal town. Only one year later the town was offered as collateral to Jan Smil of Krems by King Zikmund (Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor), but fell under the control of the House of Rožmberk for a short period following Smil's execution in 1439 at Český Krumlov. Oldřich of Rožmberk sold the town of Prachatice almost immediately after the execution but it again became property of the family in 1501.
The Rožmberks controlled Prachatice through its most prosperous period until 1601 when Petr Vok, the last member of the family, sold the town to Emperor Rudolf II who would again make it a royal town. It remained firmly under royal control until the Rebellion of the Bohemian Estates during which it sided with the rebels. However, in 1620 the town was reconquered by the Imperial commander Charles Bonaventure de Longueval, Count of Bucquoy who ordered many of its citizens to be slaughtered and a large ransom to be paid to the emperor.
After the Battle of White Mountain the town lost its status and privileges and became the property of the Eggenberg family, though the emperor's troops remained in the city throughout the remainder of the Thirty Years' War. Later on in the war the city was conquered by the Swedish army and another large ransom was demanded.
In March 1939, a film at the Passau Nibelungenhalle featured the Angliederung of Prachatice into Bayerische Ostmark.
After 1945 the German population was expelled as a result of WW II.
1869: 4,911 inhabitants
The historical character of the city center has been protected since 1981.
The dominating industries are machine engineering, electrotechnical industry and timber processing. A new industrial zone has been built.
- Town hall (Stará radnice)
- Church of St. James (Kostel svatého Jakuba)
Twin towns — sister cities
Prachatice is twinned with:
- "Population of municipalities of the Czech republic". Czech Statistical Office. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Die postalischen Abstempelungen auf den österreichischen Postwertzeichen-Ausgaben 1867, 1883 und 1890, Wilhelm KLEIN, 1967
- Anna Rosmus Hitlers Nibelungen, Samples Grafenau 2015, pp. 196f
- cs:Jiří Fried
- cs:Leo Vaniš (1936)
- "Partnerská města" (in Czech). Město Prachatice. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- Municipal website (in Czech) English version (in English)
- Details of early town history (in Czech)
- Region of Prachatice (in English)
- Prachatice (in English) - basic facts, history, sights, one-day trips
- Kratochvile Château (in English) - general info, history, exhibitions, opening hours, prices
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prachatice.|