Pottstown School District
Pottstown School District is among the oldest in the state of Pennsylvania. The first documentation of a school in Pottstown dates back to the 1700s according to George Wausnock, chairman of the Alumni Outreach Committee. The first school board was formed in 1839 and the first high school class graduation was in 1881. The first elementary school in the district was the now closed Jefferson Elementary School. At its prime in the '60s, Pottstown School District had as many as 8 elementary schools, 2 middle schools and 1 high school. During this time it enrolled about 5,000 students, that number has dropped to about 3,200 in recent years. The district has since closed four of these elementary schools, Jefferson (A current home for the elderly), St. Clair and Washington (Which have since been demolished making way for housing) as well as Edgewood, which was closed due to district renovation and expansion of district schools.
Elementary schools in the district include Elizabeth B. Barth, Franklin, Lincoln, and Rupert. Pottstown Middle School and Pottstown High School are the secondary schools of the district. (Edgewood Elementary School was closed at the end of school year 2013 due to a reorganization of the district)
Pottstown School District saw a lot of remodeling starting in the 2012–13 school year. In this year, Barth Elementary school was being redone, the fifth grade class was moved to Franklin Elementary School since the renovations were headquartered mainly in and around the fifth grade classrooms. When Edgewood Elementary closed after the 2012-2013 school year, it housed all students from Rupert Elementary while it was being remodeled. During this time, the school was renamed Rupert until the students returned to the original building in the East End.
The Superintendent of Schools is Stephen Rodriguez, and the Board of Education consists of:
- Amy Francis (President)
- Katina Bearden (Vice-President)
- Maureen Jampo (Secretary)
- Kim Stilwell (Treasurer)
- "Pottstown's school system among the state's oldest". Reading Eagle. 28 June 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2018.
- Pottstown School District Board of Education
- "School Attire and School Uniform Policy." Pottstown School District. Accessed November 9, 2008.
- Holmes, Kristin E. "School uniforms become mandatory in Pottstown." Philadelphia Inquirer. Tuesday August 26, 2008.
- "Dress Code Guidelines". Pottstown School District. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "Board of Education". Pottstown School District. Retrieved 25 February 2018.