Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission
Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission (PRTC) is an American public transportation system in Prince William County, Virginia, plus two adjacent independent cities, Manassas and Manassas Park, that together are surrounded by the county. Services provided by PRTC include OmniRide, OmniRide Local, and OmniRide Ridesharing Service.
|Headquarters||14700 Potomac Mills Road, Woodbridge, Virginia, U.S.|
|Service type||Bus service|
|Daily ridership||11,400 (2015)|
|Annual ridership||2,904,800 (2015)|
The Commission was established in 1986. It consists of representatives from each local jurisdiction, the Chairman of the Commonwealth Transportation Board and two members of the House of Delegates and one member of the Senate from the related legislative districts. Together with the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission PRTC operates the Virginia Railway Express. By 1986, it became apparent that the jurisdictions outside of NVTC could not reach agreement on how to support VRE by joining NVTC so PRTC was created. Legislation established a 2% motor fuels tax to support VRE expenses and other transportation investments.
PRTC operates a carpooling and vanpooling project called "OmniRide Ridesharing Service" (formerly "OmniMatch"). PRTC participates in the SmarTrip rechargeable fare card program with other public transportation agencies.
The PRTC bus fleet consists of the following models (As of July 2019):
|Length (ft.)||Fuel Propulsion||Notes|
|40||185 and 187 were sold to DASH|
|2019||Gillig||Low Floor BRT||
OmniRide Local (formerly OmniLink)
|Length (ft.)||Fuel Propulsion||Notes|
|29||Diesel||Used rushhours only|
OmniRide Metro Express (formerly OnmiRide Metro Direct)
$3.60 (using cash); $2.90 (using SmarTrip)
OmniRide Express (between Northern Virginia and Washington, DC)
$9.20 (using cash); $6.90 (using SmarTrip)
OmniRide Cross County Connector
$1.30 (using cash or SmarTrip); $2.50 (Day Pass, SmarTrip Only)
$1.30 (using cash or SmarTrip); $2.50 (Day Pass, SmarTrip Only); $1 off-route surcharge
- L1 Dale City
- L2 Dumfries
- L3 Manassas
- L4 Manassas Park
- L5 Woodbridge/Lake Ridge
- L6 Route 1
- Cross County Connector
Metro Express (formerly Metro Direct)
- Linton Hall Metro Express: This route operates between Gainesville and the Tysons Corner Metro Station. Service began in late 2004. Service to Tysons Corner began July 2014.
- Manassas Metro Express: This route operates between the City of Manassas and the Tysons Corner Metro Station. Service to Tysons Corner began July 2014.
- Prince William Metro Express: This route operates between Woodbridge and the Franconia–Springfield Metro Station (now with Saturday service).
- R1 Dale City: This route operates between Dale City, Pentagon and Crystal City; between Dale City and Downtown Washington; between Dale City and Washington Navy Yard
- R2 Lake Ridge: This route operates Lake Ridge, Pentagon and Crystal City; between Lake Ridge and Downtown Washington.
- R3 Manassas: This route operates between Manassas, Pentagon and Downtown Washington, with connections to Crystal City.
- R4 Montclair: This route operates between Montclair, Pentagon and Downtown Washington.
- R5 Route 1: This route operates between Triangle, Dumfries, Woodbridge, Pentagon and Downtown Washington.
- R6 Rosslyn/Ballston: This route operates between Dale City, Woodbridge and Pentagon/Rosslyn/Ballston.
- Tysons Express: This route operates between eastern Prince William County and Tysons Corner. Service began November 9, 2009.
- H Haymarket: This route operates between Haymarket and Rosslyn/Ballston. Service began December 17, 2018.
- "Transit Ridership Report Fourth Quarter 2015" (pdf). American Public Transportation Association. March 2, 2016. Retrieved 2016-03-19 – via http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Pages/ridershipreport.aspx.
- Virginia Code § 15.2-4507.
- "OmniMatch". Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "SmarTrip". Retrieved 2010-06-22.
- "Omniride: Fares and Transfers". Retrieved 2019-08-01.
- This article incorporates material from Virginia Railway Express.